More Trouble for airbnb

Undaunted

More Trouble for airbnb

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Asia Traveler

Re: More Trouble for airbnb

Post by Asia Traveler »

San Francisco has already created new short term rental regulations which has significantly reduced the AirBnB units available.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Asia Traveler wrote:San Francisco has already created new short term rental regulations which has significantly reduced the AirBnB units available.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/ar ... o-14877491
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Some of those cities the problems have been coming because of restrictions preposed for quite some time. For me some of the prices in NYC, SFO and a few others were not really that good and I use some of the points i have to stay in Hotels.

But Airbnb is everywhere and I predict they will be around for a long time at many of the places I want to visit. After all , they can pay off the politicians like Trump who unfortunately exist everywhere. They will find away to pay taxes to some of the bigger cities and smaller locations , they may bury them with lawsuits

In Pattaya I guarantee many of the Airbnb copy cats will move along renting in all the View Talay's just as they have for years .

I find it unlikely that Airbnb will disappear ! In fact I see no change in listings for Amsterdam, London, Brussels, Paris, Mexico City, Cape Town, Zurich ,Rio de Janeiro etc etc etc and just about any city in the world I have visited and used Airbnb. Oh and by the way hundreds available, Seattle, LosAngeles, SanDiego, Dallas, Boston and many other Major Cities in the USA.

So maybe a very few large USA cities and Japan and lots of publicity but probably a tiny fraction of the locations all over the world and they will find away to abide by the rules in those few places and survive.

We heard the same baloney from the Taxi's in NYC when Uber started taking all their business. Gee I 'm pretty sure Uber or similar is still the first choice for many in NYC.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

If I was renting my condo I would use airbnb or one of its look alikes but I would follow the laws. I would look for a renter and want a one year lease (preferably two). I suspect it may be just a matter of time before Thailand gets smart and registers hosts, like other countries/cities are doing, guaranteeing appropriate taxes are paid. Simplest solution is a simple software programming change, when a client enters dates at one of these sites for a booking, the term is restricted to more than 30 days, problem solved.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I don't know for sure but I would bet that may 1/10 of 1% would be year long or more of the listings on Airbnb. Their business is built mainly around vacationers. Their website is set up to offer a lower price for 1 month and an occasional listing price break for 2 weeks. Year long rentals is not their business!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

firecat69 wrote:I don't know for sure but I would bet that may 1/10 of 1% would be year long or more of the listings on Airbnb. Their business is built mainly around vacationers. Their website is set up to offer a lower price for 1 month and an occasional listing price break for 2 weeks. Year long rentals is not their business!
True but when marketing I would cover all bases. There could always be that one person who's getting ready for retirement or a job transfer or ? One thing about Thailand is there is also no such thing as exclusivity agreements in sales or rentals.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

GWMinUS wrote:AirBnb has real advantages and should be allowed to service us who want a nice place to stay short-time...
Cheers
Nothing personal, I wouldn't do it to you, so please don't do it to us. These our are homes, not a hotel or a guesthouse. These changes, if they happen, will not happen overnight and supposedly have a 2019 compliance date.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

GWMinUS wrote:AirBnb has real advantages and should be allowed to service us who want a nice place to stay short-time...
When it is a single, quiet, well behaved person such as yourself, I doubt many would object. But I can certainly understand the problem when it's a family with unruly, unsupervised, noisy children whose idea of a fun way to spend the day is running screaming through the hallways, pushing every button on in the elevator, and peeing in the pool.

The problem for permanent residents is they have no way of knowing who or what kinds of people are going to show up via AirBnb or any other rental service. Up2u has a valid point. I wouldn't want the wrong kinds of people moving in next door for a week or two any more than I would want to be living next door to a loud karaoke blaring music all through the night.

I've never lived in a condo, so I don't know how it works, but can't condo committees, or whoever is in charge, forbid such short-time rentals or throw out unruly renters? If they can, and full time residents are complaining, then why aren't they doing it?
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Generally the people here commenting on Airbnb don't know what they are talking about.( Not necessarily addressed to any poster in this thread) When you register as a client on Airbnb you have to provide a copy of your passport and another photo. When you make a reservation you are asked to provide photos of the rest of your party by most owners.

Then usually you communicate numerous times by email in order to arrange meeting for the keys, actual location etc... In 90% of the 50 rentals I have done around the world , it was the owner who met me .

Depending on the owner or the track record of the renter a substantial security deposit may be required on check in with cash. This is rare but it has happened to me a few times.

Airbnb can not be expected to know what problems other owners in the building may have with short term renters. That is building management problem.

If they don't want short term renters they have to take steps to ban the owners from renting their property short term. That is exactly what my building did in Atlanta. And the penalties are severe.

So rather then people complaining about Airbnb they should be complaining to their own Condo Boards.

For me and many of my friends Airbnb has enhanced my travels in so many ways , that I hardly remember what it was like to have to check into Hotels .