Eggs and Cholesterol? Forget it!

fountainhall

Eggs and Cholesterol? Forget it!

Post by fountainhall »

In the long gone days when I went regularly to a gym, the owner had a sign on the reception desk advocating the value of eating two eggs a day. This was widely ridiculed because medical advice at the time was that eggs were a source of cholesterol. I have a Korean friend who had been advised to limit his consumption of eggs to no more than two each week.

Like much medical advice, this has changed over time. Now a study of half a million people in China published in the journal Heart has found that eggs are in fact good for you (!) and that one egg a day, like the apple (or has medical opinion on that also changed?), can keep the doctor away!

Doctors now encourage the eating of eggs as part of a healthy diet, as they are one of nature's most nutritionally dense foods - containing high levels of protein, Vitamins A, D, B and B12, as well as lutein and zeaxanthin that can help prevent eye damage in old age.
"One - even two - a day is absolutely fine," says Dr Frankie Phillips, of the British Dietetic Association. "People shouldn't be frightened of eating too many eggs."
Most dieticians suggest boiling or poaching eggs. Frying is not recommended because of the fat and cholesterol in the oil.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-44195457
Gaybutton

Re: Eggs and Cholesterol? Forget it!

Post by Gaybutton »

The same happened with salt. I remember when the recommendation was to avoid salt. While no one is advocating over-doing it with salt, now they say using salt sensibly is not a health hazard.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

And of course it works in the opposite direction. Remember the Marlboro man? My father was a doctor and smoked about 60 heavy tar cigarettes a day - almost the only kind you could get then. He had a theory that cancer was caused not by tobacco but by lighter fuel. So he always lit his cigarettes with matches. Unfortunately he was deluding himself. He died of cancer the year after he retired.

The days of the three martini lunch are not all that long gone. When I started working none of us could afford martinis - even if we knew what they were back then! But we happily knocked back a few vodkas and cheap wine with an even cheaper pub lunch before going back to work! I wonder how many have more than just one glass of wine with lunch nowadays.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

My grandmother ate 2 eggs every morning. She died of a heart attack. But, of course, she was 86.