N Korea

Gaybutton

Re: N Korea

Post by Gaybutton »

If the USA establishes an embassy in North Korea, I think I know who Trump will appoint as Ambassador . . .

Dennis Rodman
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thailand's stance on Trump-Kim summit:

Thailand welcomes Kim-Trump summit outcome

June 13, 2018

By The Nation

Thailand’s Foreign Ministry has welcomed Tuesday’s historic meeting between the US President Donald Trump and North Korea Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un as landmark towards the denuclearisation of the Korean Peninsula.

“This epoch-making summit reflects the strong commitment of the two leaders to achieve sustained peace, stability and prosperity on the Korean Peninsula with denuclearisation as the key step,” a ministry press release said.

Thailand also has “ardent hope that all parties concerned will exert their utmost efforts in attaining these significant goals for the benefits of the region and the world”, it added.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha said earlier that he welcomed the meeting as “a good sign to the world, if they can practise what they agreed”.

Both the US and North Korea have embassies in Bangkok. although Thailand has been pressed to limit its diplomatic and economic ties with the totalitarian country in recent years.

As a third party, Thailand has stressed it is neutral over the Korean peninsula issue. Yet, it has abided by the Asean consensus to “ensure peace and stability” over the region, including following the United Nations Security Council’s resolutions that denounce North Korea.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/ ... s/30347643
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

In an earlier post I suggested that in comparing the Trump/Kim meeting with the Chamberlain/Hitler 'peace in our time' meeting GB was not comparing like for like. I now take that back. Looking at what Trump has been saying and comparing it to the words of Chamberlain after Munich and what Kim has actually given to him, there appears little difference - except Trump outdoes Chamberlain!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Trump outdoes Chamberlain!
You know who I think actually gained the most from this so-called summit? China. As for the summit itself and Kim's current promises and behavior, I can't help thinking China was behind it from the beginning.

"I didn't know 'til this day - it was Barzini all along."
- Marlon Brando (Don Vito Corleone), 'The Godfather'
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I don't think China is behind it but certainly they love it and will encourage the continuation of this farce. I am sure China is already loosening sanctions on N Korea and thus China is well poised to take over Asia . They continue to build their illegal islands and put their military on them. Because Trump pulled out of TPP, China will continue to expand their economic influence over .

James Mattis must be pulling his hair out. Trump loves Dictators like Kim, Xi, Putin and is turning the world over to them.

Again how happy I am to have no children or grand children to grow up in a world dominated by such Autocrats.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Interesting article of what the World thinks of Trump.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/04/03/how-tru ... he-us.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

firecat69 wrote:Interesting article of what the World thinks of Trump.
One of the many problems caused by Trump is even if he left office tomorrow, it will take years, perhaps many decades, to undo the damage he has done, if it can be undone at all. It will be a very long time before the USA is restored to its previous prestige in the eyes of the world.

I believe one of the reasons Trump is so friendly toward autocrats is because he would like nothing more than to become the next one.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The Economist cover this week rather nicely sums up last week's summit

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:The Economist cover this week rather nicely sums up last week's summit
I don't necessarily agree with that assessment. I think it depends on Trump's true motivation for glad-handing, back patting, ass kissing, and making all kinds of complimentary remarks about an evil dictator, one who makes Saddam Hussein seem like Mary Poppins, who only very recently was threatening to try to nuke the USA.

Along with that Trump was also busy talking about North Korea's "great beaches" and talking about condos. Maybe I know the real reason why. Would anyone be surprised if Trump's true motivation turns out to be planning to be the one who gets to build those condos and beach hotels?

I can see it now - Trump Tower Pyongyang, Trump Beach Hotel, Trump Golf Resort and Country Club Pyongyang.

Make your bookings via Agoda, folks . . .