Is Anyone Really Interested in the 'Oscars" Any More?

fountainhall

Re: Is Anyone Really Interested in the 'Oscars" Any More?

Post by fountainhall »

A great movie actor and thoroughly deserving of his Oscars. I omitted him only because he is almost 2 decades younger than the ones I listed. I could have added Emma Thomson and some others who also started in theatre. I only omitted them because they are also not around their 80s as the others are. Sadly Day Lewis has announced his retirement from acting. Hopefully he will be persuaded to change his mind.

I should perhaps have also mentioned another reason for the excellence of the older generation of British actors. Reading the bio of the excellent Dame Penelope Wilton (The Best Little Marigold Hotel, Downton Abbey etc), she bemoans the demise of weekly rep in Britain. In the 1950s, 60s and into the 70s, drama companies used to perform in theatres around the country, one week here, the next somewhere else. As a youngster I used to go to a play occasionally. But the only future ‘name’ I can recall seeing was Mollie Sugden. She later became a star as Mrs Slocombe (remember her pussy?) in the TV sitcom Are You Being Served?

Dear Dame Edna told me was desperate to be included in my list. She certainly fits the age bracket now (alas) but Moonie Ponds is not in Britain. Edna is a proud colonial.