Actress Nanette Fabray dies at 97

Gaybutton

Actress Nanette Fabray dies at 97

Post by Gaybutton »

Nanette Fabray, Tony and Emmy Award-winning actress, dead at 97

Nanette Fabray, the Tony Award winning actress and three-time Emmy winner, has died, The New York Times and Los Angeles Times report. She was 97.

Fabray died of natural causes Thursday at her home in Palos Verdes, California, her son Dr. Jamie MacDougall told reporters.

When Fabray was 28 years old, she won her first Tony award for her performance in 1949's "Love Life." In 1956, she also took home three Emmy awards for her role in the sketch comedy TV show "Caesar's Hour."

In 1961, Fabray led her own sitcom "The Nanette Fabray Show" (also known as "Westinghouse Playhouse"), but it lasted less than one season.

Fabray earned screenwriting credits for 1945's "Mildred Pierce" and 1963's "Cleopatra" and would later receive the Screen Actors Guild's Lifetime Achievement Award in 1987.

Fabray was born in San Diego on Oct. 27, 1920. She grew up in Hollywood where her mother encouraged her to get into show business, the LA Times reports.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nanette-fa ... 97-reports
thaiworthy

Re: Actress Nanette Fabray dies at 97

Post by thaiworthy »

I enjoyed watching Nanette Fabray on tv in comedy sketches on "The Carol Burnett Show" when I was a teenager.

Below is one interview in which she discusses doing sign language on that show.

Here is the actual clip mentioned in that interview in which she sings "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" in sign language.

There is also a collection of other articles and interviews here:

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews ... tte-fabray

Here is a clip of the whole show that features Nanette playing a mermaid. It is a parody of "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner." The funniest line is the one delivered at about 18:00 in which Carol asks Nanette, "What was it you said your name was again?" Nanette replies, "Ethyl. Ethyl Mermaid." I have never forgotten this scene since the day I saw the show live. All the scenes in this show are memorable. It is worth watching this scene and/or the whole show.

fountainhall

Re: Actress Nanette Fabray dies at 97

Post by fountainhall »

I had never heard of her!