"Tulip Fever" - A Bust!

fountainhall

"Tulip Fever" - A Bust!

Post by fountainhall »

Picked this movie up on Silom the other day and watched it last night. With the world going bananas over the spectacular rise in the value of Bitcoins, I thought I might learn a bit more about the world's first big speculative bubble (and first futures market, as I understand) when the price of just a handful of tulip bulbs quickly became worth more than a row of houses. Inevitably, when the crash came. thousands went bankrupt overnight.

Sadly, the movie is a total bust! It ties in a couple of love stories which are ridiculously linked near the end. There's a fair amount of fever but little here about tulips. The lead actors are virtual caricatures - the normally excellent Christoph Waltz walks through his role like a zombie, constantly talking about his "little man" as he tries to conceive a son. Several smaller parts stand out including Dame Judi Dench as the Abbess and the costume and set designs are lovely. But don't waste your money!
Gaybutton

Re: "Tulip Fever" - A Bust!

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Dame Judi Dench
On the other end of the spectrum, if you want to see an excellent Judi Dench movie, don't miss 'Victoria and Abdul.'
fountainhall

Re: "Tulip Fever" - A Bust!

Post by fountainhall »

Totally agree about "Victoria and Abdul". Excellent movie which I just watched. I'm sure Judi Dench will be nominated for an Oscar. Interesting that she sings in the scene in Italy with Puccini. Not many know that in addition to being a superb classical actor, she was a song and dance girl. She was supposed to be Grizabella in the original London production of CATS (the one who sings "Memory") but had to come out of the role when she damaged her ankle in rehearsals. I love this version of Stephen Sondheim's "Send in the Clowns" from his musical "A Little Night Music". Pretty good going for a 75 year old!