Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

fountainhall

Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Post by fountainhall »

Best Film and Best Actor Oscar nominations plus Best Adapted Screenplay? Obviously some others apart from me found a lot more in it. And it's still running in Bangkok after all these weeks! :o :o
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

fountainhall wrote:Best Film and Best Actor Oscar nominations plus Best Adapted Screenplay? Obviously some others apart from me found a lot more in it. And it's still running in Bangkok after all these weeks! :o :o
Obviously, will win many awards. The peach should get an easy nomination for Best Performance by an Inanimate Object.
Pattayamale

Post by Pattayamale »

They have been selling the DVD in Pattaya for a few months. I enjoyed watching it.
Pattayamale
Living happily
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Now screening in Pattaya at Central Festival from today, the 22nd. One session only at 18.10.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I am delighted that James Ivory won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay. As a director he just missed out on three earlier Oscar nominations when he was a mainstay of the great Merchant/Ivory classics - Room with a View, Howard's End and Remains of the Day. I thought it especially fitting that he mentioned his late-partners on those movies, producer Ismail Merchant and writer Ruth Prawer Jhabvala.

And on a night of plugs, one for a friend of mine Luciana Arrighi who in 1993 won the Oscar for Best Art Direction for that Ismail/Merchant Howard's End. Later, as Production Designer for the Jodie Foster/Chow Yun Fat movie Anna and the King, she and the company had to work in Malaysia. Thailand's lese majeste laws prevented the movie being shot here in Thailand.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Finally saw Call Me By Your Name and did like it. That was a surprise after reading the dismal review by Thaiworthy ;)

Yes, it did get off to a slow start but things picked up as time went on.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

After reflecting, overnight, I do agree with Thaiworthy's comments on this film.
Yes, I did like it, but basically a hodgepodge of lines taken from the book with little or no sense to the over all movie. The ending was good, however.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

A little fact of which I had been entirely unaware. The partnership I referred to earlier of James Ivory, the writer (and originally also the director) of "Call Me By Your Name" who became the oldest man ever to receive an Oscar, with Ismail Merchant had produced some wonderful movies. Unknown to me, they were in fact lovers and partners for more than 40 years.

In an interview in today's Guardian, he returns to his earlier comments about being unhappy there was no frontal nudity in "Call Me By Your Name". He had written in into the script and states that the director had definitely agreed to it.
One aspect that does still rankle with him is the absence of full-frontal male nudity. Ivory’s screenplay specified that Elio and Oliver would be shown naked, a detail overruled by clauses in the actors’ contracts. “When Luca says he never thought of putting nudity in, that is totally untrue,” says Ivory. “He sat in this very room where I am sitting now, talking about how he would do it, so when he says that it was a conscious aesthetic decision not to – well, that’s just bullshit.

“When people are wandering around before or after making love, and they’re decorously covered with sheets, it’s always seemed phoney to me. I never liked doing that. And I don’t do it, as you know.” In Maurice, his 1987 film of EM Forster’s posthumously published gay love story, “the two guys have had sex and they get up and you certainly see everything there is to be seen. To me, that’s a more natural way of doing things than to hide them, or to do what Luca did, which is to pan the camera out of the window toward some trees. Well …” He gives a derisive snort.
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/m ... ame-nudity

The movie has also made a tidy profit. Filmed on a budget of around $4 million, the box office receipts up to last weekend were $37,941,949.