Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

fountainhall
Liked: 88 times
Been liked: 264 times

#21 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:21 am

Yes, it was obvious! My reference to "you" was meant to be the collective "you" - hence my comment. Sorry it was not clear.

thaiworthy
Liked: 59 times
Been liked: 129 times

#22 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby thaiworthy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:10 pm

I watched “Call Me By Your Name” several nights ago. There were 3 things I especially liked about it. It has a great title, great title theme song, and a nice little speech by the father near the end of the story. If you can call it a story. If you have not seen this film, but intend to, do not read any further.

Unfortunately, this is all that is outstanding about it, the rest is a banal, lifeless “boy meets boy” string of casual events. There is no story, there are no characters. And that’s because there is no dialog. No real dialog, because that is the only way to define characters. It is chit-chat. The actors, if you can call them actors, deliver their lines as if they were reciting them, not really meaning them. The plot, if you can call it a plot, is just a dangling mess of scenes. Some start abruptly and end abruptly just when they just seem to be going somewhere. There isn’t even a sub-plot. They are black holes of plots from which all imagination escapes.

The first agonizing hour is a collection of eating at a table with polite conversation one minute, followed by bicycling, drinking, swimming, more eating, then more conversations about when they’re eating next. “See you at dinnertime." and "When’s lunch?” or some such trivial chatter.

I do not even see how the characters could possibly be attracted to one another in a meaningful way. Their interaction is a collection of quips and cute, choppy lines meant to explore the “intentions” of the other. Or should I say “sexual tensions,” because that’s all there is between them.

This isn’t even a gay film. Both our heroes are robust bisexuals. The character of Elio is nothing more than a sexually frustrated teenager with a bad case of ants in the pants. There is one scene of him laying in bed, fucking a peach. A peach? Do we think the entire orchard can satisfy him? No, not a chance. Girls are so out-of-fashion for this young man.

I think all the excitement connected with this film centers around the youthful body of Elio and his musical talents, a combination for sure to make hearts all-a-flutter at the box office and in the eyes of some reviewers. Be that as it may, just swap out heterosexual roles for the gay ones and see what you come up with.

“Call Me By Your Name” is a long way down from “The Squaw Man.”

The Squaw Man is a 1918 American Western film directed by Cecil B. DeMille. It is a remake of DeMille's 1914 film of the same name, which is based upon a 1905 play by Edwin Milton Royle. The film was reportedly made as an experiment to prove DeMille's theory that a good film is based on a good story.
Whenever you're feeling down, remember that you're the sperm that won.

fountainhall
Liked: 88 times
Been liked: 264 times

#23 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:18 pm

Best Film and Best Actor Oscar nominations plus Best Adapted Screenplay? Obviously some others apart from me found a lot more in it. And it's still running in Bangkok after all these weeks! :o :o

thaiworthy
Liked: 59 times
Been liked: 129 times

#24 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby thaiworthy » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:17 pm

fountainhall wrote:Best Film and Best Actor Oscar nominations plus Best Adapted Screenplay? Obviously some others apart from me found a lot more in it. And it's still running in Bangkok after all these weeks! :o :o

Obviously, will win many awards. The peach should get an easy nomination for Best Performance by an Inanimate Object.
Whenever you're feeling down, remember that you're the sperm that won.

Pattayamale
Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

#25 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby Pattayamale » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:22 pm

They have been selling the DVD in Pattaya for a few months. I enjoyed watching it.
Pattayamale
Living happily

Return to “Everything Else”