Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

fountainhall

Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Post by fountainhall »

This gay-themed movie featuring an intense love story between a 17 year old young man for his father's 24-year old assistant has garnered stunning reviews at the Sundance and other film festivals as well as with many movie critics. It is set in north Italy with beautiful photography and superb performances. This is a viewer's comment on the imdb internet site -
Call Me By Your Name is the kind of movie that makes you sit through the credits with tears rolling down your face, staring blankly at the screen with a lump in your throat and tightness in your chest.

Call Me By Your Name is not a tragic movie. It's not a sad movie. It's not a pretentious movie. It's a movie about love, and love, and love. A beautiful love that will leave you longing to find your own love and drown in it.

Timothée Chalamet is an absolute force of nature. Elio will make you want to love, and hurt, and piece yourself back together with absolutely no regrets whatsoever. Elio will make you want to live your life to the fullest. Elio will make you want to break your own damn heart. It's so rare that a performance truly shows the depth of longing, and despair, and passion a character conveys through written words without the internal monologue. Timothée is truly a revelation and his last scene during the credits will have a lasting impact on everyone.

Armie Hammer is absolutely brilliant in the way he humanizes Oliver who is somewhat glorified through Elio's lens in the first part of the book. In the movie, Oliver is endearing and human and sexy and caring. He cares for Elio, and his love for him is so tender and so touching.

Michael Stuhlbarg's monologue delivered nearing the end of the film is a complete masterpiece, and without a doubt that monologue with be taught and quoted for many years to come. A raw and beautiful scene.

Watch this movie. Watch it, and love it, and don't let it fall victim to over-hype. Watch this movie. Fall in love in two hours and twelve minutes, then question every single time you didn't allow yourself to feel just because you were afraid of getting hurt. Was avoiding a possible heartbreak that might have shattered you worth never getting a taste of the heavens? Was killing the potential pain and heartache worth it? Was it worth it?
thewayhelooks

Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Post by thewayhelooks »

The book was as boring as batshit. Hope the movie makes a better fist of it.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have neither read the book nor seen the movie. The latter gets amazing reviews and so it must be doing something right. I hope it gets to Thailand soon if it hasn't already been and gone. Even the book gets 74% of readers' comments giving it 5 stars on amazon. But we all have different tastes
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

thewayhelooks wrote:The book was as boring as batshit. Hope the movie makes a better fist of it.
I agree with you, thewayhelooks, I couldn't get past a chapter or two and had to skip to the end. On the other hand a friend thought it the best ever book.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

And now the director is already talking about a sequel.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

A NYTimes gushing review of this movie.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/movi ... ctionfront
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Since the trailer has disappeared from the first post, here it is again =

Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

It will be playing in Bangkok from Dec 14 at House RCA.

https://www.facebook.com/houseRCA/
Google map link:
http://www.houserama.com/

I don't see announced show times yet but plan accordingly and avoid rush hours. It's not the easiest location to get to. There's several nice cafe type restaurants in the RCA complex if you need to wait out traffic or arrive before the rush and have some time to kill.

Also playing 'Insects in the Back Yard" A Thai gay themed move that I really liked. Be careful to get the uncut-uncencered version. It's not a current movie.

Brooklyn Bridge

Post by Brooklyn Bridge »

Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

This evening my BF and I went to see 'Call Me By Your Name' at the House RCA theater in Bangkok. It has been running since 14 December, five showings per day. We arrived in time for the show at 1630 but it was sold out. We got seats for the 1930 showing and that was sold out by 1900. Generally indie non-action films don't get that that kind of attendance in Thailand.

The crowd was mostly Thai, a few farangs, a few Thai boy/farang couples and lots of Thai gay boys. There was a big board and post-it notes provided where you could leave comments. Most were in Thai. Most were very positive.

My BF said he liked it and I was surprised. It's not an action movie, there's no ghosts and no one gets run over by a bus. I am a little confused why it seems to be taking Bangkok by storm.

I liked it but from some of the glowing reviews I expected more. It was thought provoking and it's going to take me a few days to process all the emotion. It's a movie of substance.

http://www.houserama.com/