Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

fountainhall
Liked: 75 times
Been liked: 231 times

#1 Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:24 am

This gay-themed movie featuring an intense love story between a 17 year old young man for his father's 24-year old assistant has garnered stunning reviews at the Sundance and other film festivals as well as with many movie critics. It is set in north Italy with beautiful photography and superb performances. This is a viewer's comment on the imdb internet site -

Call Me By Your Name is the kind of movie that makes you sit through the credits with tears rolling down your face, staring blankly at the screen with a lump in your throat and tightness in your chest.

Call Me By Your Name is not a tragic movie. It's not a sad movie. It's not a pretentious movie. It's a movie about love, and love, and love. A beautiful love that will leave you longing to find your own love and drown in it.

Timothée Chalamet is an absolute force of nature. Elio will make you want to love, and hurt, and piece yourself back together with absolutely no regrets whatsoever. Elio will make you want to live your life to the fullest. Elio will make you want to break your own damn heart. It's so rare that a performance truly shows the depth of longing, and despair, and passion a character conveys through written words without the internal monologue. Timothée is truly a revelation and his last scene during the credits will have a lasting impact on everyone.

Armie Hammer is absolutely brilliant in the way he humanizes Oliver who is somewhat glorified through Elio's lens in the first part of the book. In the movie, Oliver is endearing and human and sexy and caring. He cares for Elio, and his love for him is so tender and so touching.

Michael Stuhlbarg's monologue delivered nearing the end of the film is a complete masterpiece, and without a doubt that monologue with be taught and quoted for many years to come. A raw and beautiful scene.

Watch this movie. Watch it, and love it, and don't let it fall victim to over-hype. Watch this movie. Fall in love in two hours and twelve minutes, then question every single time you didn't allow yourself to feel just because you were afraid of getting hurt. Was avoiding a possible heartbreak that might have shattered you worth never getting a taste of the heavens? Was killing the potential pain and heartache worth it? Was it worth it?

PeterUK
Liked: 32 times
Been liked: 82 times

#2 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby PeterUK » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:30 pm

I haven't but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I see it has received 96% and very good reviews on the rottentomatoes site too.

thewayhelooks
Been liked: 21 times

#3 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby thewayhelooks » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:11 pm

The book was as boring as batshit. Hope the movie makes a better fist of it.

fountainhall
Liked: 75 times
Been liked: 231 times

#4 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby fountainhall » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:34 pm

I have neither read the book nor seen the movie. The latter gets amazing reviews and so it must be doing something right. I hope it gets to Thailand soon if it hasn't already been and gone. Even the book gets 74% of readers' comments giving it 5 stars on amazon. But we all have different tastes

windwalker
Liked: 105 times
Been liked: 41 times

#5 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby windwalker » Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:48 pm

thewayhelooks wrote:The book was as boring as batshit. Hope the movie makes a better fist of it.

I agree with you, thewayhelooks, I couldn't get past a chapter or two and had to skip to the end. On the other hand a friend thought it the best ever book.

thewayhelooks
Been liked: 21 times

#6 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby thewayhelooks » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:44 am

And now the director is already talking about a sequel.

PeterUK
Liked: 32 times
Been liked: 82 times

#7 Re: Has Anyone Seen "Call Me by Your Name"?

Postby PeterUK » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:16 am

The film critic of the Guardian loved it and gives it a 5-star review.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/o ... mie-hammer

Return to “Everything Else”