Where did Boys Not Wear Swimming Trunks in 1952?

windwalker

Re: Where did Boys Not Wear Swimming Trunks in 1952?

Post by windwalker »

Jun wrote:
[Apparently there is about a 10% chance of me being around in 50 years time.]
Jun, you must be quite young? If one is now 50 yo, their chances to live to 100 yo are next to zero.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I grew up in Boston and most of the YMCA's had a nude swimming policy. I guess I was around 9 or 10 years old, the year around 1963, and my parents sent me to the Y to learn to swim. We would take off all our clothes and put them in a locker and walk nude to the shower room not use soap, just rinse and then off the the indoor pool. I guess there were around 20 of us in the class. All in the same age range.

There were adult or high school age instructors but they did not get nude or get in the pool. They did keep an eye on us to see that we really went into the shower. They did swimming instructions from the pool side and threw you a life preserver if you got into trouble. I don't recall any rescues.

We pretty much stayed in the water the whole class and I don't recall anyone getting an erection. I don't recall any physical contact from any of the instructors. This was the first time I noticed that some boys were circumcised and some were not. Not everyone was the same size and although we all had penises they were not identical.

After the class we all went into the shower room and this time we used soap. Then to another area to be given towels and dry off. Once dry we walked nude to the locker room and got dressed.

One day after swim class I was upstairs in the recreation room for a few hours and when I was ready to leave I realized I had left my jacket in the locker downstairs. I walked in as the older teen ages, 16 or so, were returning from drying off. OMG! Pubic hair! Big penises! I walked over to the locker where I left my jacket and this man-teen was hovering over it and was in my way. I just stood there frozen. The man-teen said, "what are you looking at kid"? I was looking at his huge dick but said I wanted to retrieve my jacket. He said, go for it kid. He did not back away and I came within inches of his swinging penis as I reached around him to get my jacket.

I don't know when they stopped the nude swimming policy at the Y but I know it was pretty much history by the early 70's. That was the time when girls both as students and instructors came onto the the scene.
Jun

Post by Jun »

windwalker wrote:[If one is now 50 yo, their chances to live to 100 yo are next to zero.

Apparently, if one is 50 & male, the chances of living to 100 are about 12~13%. That's from some allegedly respectable study reported in the Guardian.
What I don't know is how much extrapolation of average age increases was used in that. Personally, I distrust extrapolation.

I still doubt nude swimming will make a comeback in the hours, days, years or decades that I may have in front of me. But there is always hope & perhaps time to enjoy what positive changes there are.
For example, I suppose there were not so many nude selfies taken in the 1950s ? And about none posted on the internet.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Jun wrote:I still doubt nude swimming will make a comeback
There's nude beaches in USA and lots in Europe. I used to frequent Haulover Beach in Miami and Hippy Hollow in Austin, Tx. Haulover has a hug gay section with a sexually charged atmosphere.

The Y I went to as a kid was originally an all male organization but then latter on Wednesday the YMCA became the YWCA and the girls were allowed entry. I was surprised to find that my sister took a bathing suit and brought home a wet suit in a plastic bag. Then I found out that they did not even shower nude together like the boys. They got a towel upon arrival, put on the suit under the towel, showered in the suit, swam, then showered again with the suit, then got dressed under cover of a wrapped towel. WTF?
a447

Post by a447 »

I had no idea that guys had to swim naked in the YMCAs and at schools. It's hard for me to imagine.

I never got naked when I was growing up.

I first stripped off in front off others when I moved to Japan, where even today, nakedness is commonplace and nobody bats an eyelid.

In the legitimate bathhouses, frequented by families as well as single guys, everyone just let's it all hang out. Some also have a pool and, of course, they all swim naked. But that's the only time.

In many Western countries these days, I doubt children would be allowed to be naked in the company off adults.

I invited a friend on holiday with me to Japan a few years ago and my friends and I visited a bathhouse. He was horrified when I told him we were going and insisted on going out and buying a pair of swimming trunks. We didn't say anything to him until we arrived. That's when we broke the news to him that swimming trunks were not allowed!

Going through puberty in Japan and being surrounded by hot classmates getting changed in the classroom for Physical Education was a huge turn-on. We had a lot of fun comparing sizes.It was also the first time I saw uncut cock and they'd seen a circumcised one.

The first question they all asked was "How do you wank without a foreskin?"

"I manage," I replied. Lol

But nakedness occurs indoors - just like at the YMCA's and schools in the U.S. I'm sure the kids didn't drop their pants in public. I don't think there's any naked beaches in Japan, and certainly no naked swimming pools.

More's the pity!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote:There's nude beaches in USA and lots in Europe.
I tried to go to some of them. They always took one look and then made me move my car to the handicapped area. They also didn't appreciate me walking around with a ruler . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Have occasionally been taken by friends to one in Sydney named Obelisk - across the harbour from the Opera House. Almost exclusively guys of my vintage except one time four young Asians arrived and disrobed in front of us. When they hit the sea you’d have thought a bunch of orcas had suddenly appeared, such was the displacement of water! Just about everyone on the beach was after them!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Just about everyone on the beach was after them!
Did anyone manage to reel one in?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Trongpai wrote:There's nude beaches in USA and lots in Europe.
In New Jersey (pronounced noo joisey) there is, or was, a nude beach on State/Federal owned property on the Atlantic Ocean across from New York City. I did visit there some many years ago and enjoyed the ambiance. Most of the nudes were older types while the hunks always wore something.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Jun wrote:
windwalker wrote:[If one is now 50 yo, their chances to live to 100 yo are next to zero.

Apparently, if one is 50 & male, the chances of living to 100 are about 12~13%. changes there are.
The statistics I used showed about 2 % probability of a 50 male yo making it to 100.