Gone With The Hot Air

fountainhall

Re: Gone With The Hot Air

Post by fountainhall »

I have a solution as to what to do with all those statues. I doubt if Museums can make sufficient space available to accommodate large statues. So why not emulate Moscow? It has an official "Fallen Monuments Park" located by the Moskva River. It is the largest open air Sculpture Park in the country with about 700 statues and artworks from Soviet times on display and another 200 in storage. In recent years, it has added additional spaces and now includes an open-air contemporary art museum, a special exhibition space, a music festival venue and a massive creative workshop!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

You know what I think is going to happen? After the statues are removed, artists will create new ones - depicting the same people whose statues were removed. Then, if an attempt is made to remove those statues too, they'll claim removal violates their constitutional right of free speech under the first amendment.
Brooklyn Bridge

Post by Brooklyn Bridge »

My mind keeps going back to the propagandized moment when a small cadre of "liberated" Iraqis pulled down the statue of Saddam Hussein. Had they no respect for their heritage?

My point is that these statues began not as memorials to the heroic past but as symbols of white power and warnings to the still-subjugated blacks to know their place.

I find it interesting that those who abhor "political correctness" only recognize it when it's exercised by minorities, of color and gender. They don't realize that the overwhelming application of PC is in favor of the white male majority. So it is not "politically correct" to be in favor of the statues, or to be against Colin Kaepernick's open demonstration of dissent from the Star Spangled Banner, or to support all-white fraternities. even though it is clearly the imposition of the political views of the majority.

So what is Political Correctness? To me, it's an utterly useless term, designed to exclude people you dislike from the conversation. That's why you hear it so much on Fox News.