Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

User avatar
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Posts: 14125
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 475 times

#41 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Gaybutton » Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:44 am


fountainhall
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 110 times
Been liked: 295 times

#42 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby fountainhall » Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:16 am

As the world wallows in Trump's lies, gross exaggerations and fake facts in his interviews with the President of Mexico and Prime Minister of Australia (is this seriously the type of conversation that typically goes on between heads of governments?), now there is news that another campaign promise will be broken. We've already seen how he's made a total fool of himself over the taunt of Obama playing golf - this from a man who has played much more golf in six months than George W Bush did in 8 years!

Now the man who claimed for decades that he never took vacations will - take a 17 day vacation at his private golf course in New Jersey. Chalk that up as another lie!

Donald Trump once questioned the wisdom of taking vacations. “What’s the point?” he asked.
But now the president is getting ready to join the annual August exodus from the city he calls “the swamp”. Trump is due on Friday to begin his first extended vacation from Washington since the inauguration: 17 days at his private golf club in central New Jersey . . .

The White House hasn’t been entertaining questions about the president’s August plans. Asked whether Trump would leave Washington this month, press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on Tuesday: “We’ll continue to keep you guys updated on his August schedule as those details are finalized.”
White House officials said this is a “working vacation”, and that Trump would not have time for a reading list, USA Today reported.
Trump and his supporters like to publicize his disdain for taking vacations, when the truth is that he takes them constantly.

“Don’t take vacations. What’s the point? If you’re not enjoying your work, you’re in the wrong job,” Trump wrote in his 2004 book, Trump: Think Like a Billionaire. He told Larry King in an interview that year: “Most of the people I know that are successful really don’t take vacations. Their business is their vacation. I rarely leave. You know that . . .

Actually, Trump gets out of town quite often. So far, he has spent 13 of 28 weekends in office away from the White House, mostly at his properties in Palm Beach, Florida, or in Bedminster, New Jersey, according to an Associated Press count . . .

Contrast Trump’s frequent getaways with his criticism, before and during last year’s presidential campaign, of Barack Obama’s vacations and frequent golf outings.

“@BarackObama played golf yesterday. Now he heads to a 10 day vacation in Martha’s Vineyard. Nice work ethic,” Trump tweeted in August 2011.
Trump said last year that he wouldn’t have time for golf if he became president.

“I’m going to be working for you, I’m not going to have time to go play golf,” he told supporters in Virginia. But he plays golf whenever he’s at his clubs; sometimes it’s the full 18 holes, other times less than that. His staff rarely acknowledges that he plays, even when photos of him on the course pop up on social media.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... -vacations

User avatar
Smiles
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:12 am
Location: Hua Hin
Liked: 41 times
Been liked: 87 times

#43 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Smiles » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:17 pm

Well well well .... Mueller has now empaneled a Grand Jury in Washington.
This means that Trump could easily be called to testify to all manner of False News (as he calls everything which he doesnt like). Under subpoena, under oath, no lawyers present ... what will Trump do?
He's never told the truth in his life so is it possible he will try? -- gagging the whole way. Will he lie like he's never lied before in the face of Mueller's overwhelming evidence? -- impeachment, here we go. Will he have Mueller fired before the GJ starts it's job? -- see: 'impeachment'. Will he resign and crawl back to his golden shower until the Sheriff arrives? -- think: 'perjury'.
Will he take the 5th? Think: "yep, I did it all, but fuck you".
Right now, I would make a small bet that Pence awaits, smirking, rubbing hands behind one of the White House golden curtains.
So damn Shakespearean.

Where's TJ? (Just in case Mueller finds nothing!)

Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Image

fountainhall
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 110 times
Been liked: 295 times

#44 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby fountainhall » Fri Aug 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Smiles wrote:Right now, I would make a small bet that Pence awaits, smirking, rubbing hands behind one of the White House golden curtains.
So damn Shakespearean.

As others have said, that thought is almost more unbearable that having Trump stay in office. It would be a darn sight more boring with little to laugh about. With Trump it's almost a laugh a minute.

User avatar
Smiles
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:12 am
Location: Hua Hin
Liked: 41 times
Been liked: 87 times

#45 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Smiles » Fri Aug 04, 2017 3:23 pm

fountainhall wrote:As others have said, that thought is almost more unbearable that having Trump stay in office. It would be a darn sight more boring with little to laugh about. With Trump it's almost a laugh a minute.

You think Donald's finger on the 'Nuclear Option' is a laugh a minute?
I've read many of the "worse than Trump" opinons regarding Pence (and there's been a lot), but on this one I disagree.
Pence is a die-hard conservative in the Strom Thurman fashion. His views on social issues are nearly always despicable ... he's a throw-back to another, nasty, era.
But, being in congress for a long time I would guess that he at least knows, and believes in, the art of, not the deal, but the possible. He's probably smart enough to not try and turn back the clock on issues which have been accepted as a done-deal but most of the population ... and that the Supreme Court would jump all over attempts to to pass the unconstitutional. Thus he would probably not even try.
Trump doesnt get ANY of that kind of thing. He's clueless on every level imaginable. He lies in his teeth more often every day than I take a piss. He has no empathy, or interest in anyone but himself ... he might even stab Donnie Jr in the back. His entire liife is one large endless story of bullshit, and absolutely nothing else. He hasn't a clue what the word 'decency' means.
A guy who posseses that kind of selfish, ignorant and paranoid psychology who also, by an aberration, has his finger on the button is far more dangerous than some plonky old, nondescript politician who speaks in cliches but at least understands basic concepts like "checks & balances" and "the rule of law" and "the constitution". He may not like 'em (concepts that is), but he will go along.
And, better still: if Trump goes down, Pence may last the next two and a half years after which he'll be obliterated at the polls, as was Gerald Ford. Trump's legacy, thanks Don.
And he doesn't tweet very much.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Image

User avatar
Smiles
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:12 am
Location: Hua Hin
Liked: 41 times
Been liked: 87 times

#46 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Smiles » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:59 pm

By Andy Borowitz
August 3, 2017
Trump Says Mueller Just Called Him and Said He’s the Most Innocent Person Ever

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—The special counsel, Robert Mueller, just called Donald Trump to tell the President that he was “the most innocent person ever,” Trump told reporters on Thursday.
“It was the middle of the afternoon, and he just picked up the phone to say how innocent I was,” Trump said. “He said I was the most innocent person he’d ever come across, and maybe in history.”
“He said he had been over all of the evidence and that he and his staff would spend hours just looking at each other in amazement at about how unbelievably innocent I was,” he said.

Trump said that he asked Mueller why, in his opinion, the media had reported so many stories about his campaign colluding with Russians. “Bob said to me, ‘Are you talking about the failing New York Times and CNN?’ ” Trump reported. “ ‘They have been very unfair to you. They are bad (or sick) people. Sad!’ That’s what Bob said to me.”

The conversation wound down with a series of “pleasantries,” Trump said, with Mueller complimenting him on the size of his 2016 victory, including his enormous win in New Hampshire.

https://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowit ... erson-ever
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Image

fountainhall
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 110 times
Been liked: 295 times

#47 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby fountainhall » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:45 am

Smiles wrote:You think Donald's finger on the 'Nuclear Option' is a laugh a minute?

Unquestionably not. You raise an excellent point, but I cannot believe it is just the President who makes the decision to press the button. I assume - and hope I am right - that there are enough mentally sound and strong personalities within the chain of command to ensure the nuclear codes are not authorised other than in a case of extreme danger to the country.

Smiles wrote:“It was the middle of the afternoon, and he [Mueller] just picked up the phone to say how innocent I was,” Trump said. “He said I was the most innocent person he’d ever come across, and maybe in history.”

I wonder when those who voted for Trump are going to realise that garbage like this is precisely that - garbage! In fact it's worse than garbage. It surely has to be lying of the worst sort - the sort we hear from Trump's oral cavity time after time after time.

fountainhall
Posts: 1016
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 110 times
Been liked: 295 times

#48 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby fountainhall » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:55 am

And the Fox News Scandal Saga continues! Yet another of the network's long-time hosts, Eric Bolling, has been suspended after being accused of sending lewd photos to three female co-workers. Apart from a raging support for a brainless President, it seems the one other quality Fox male staffers require is the ability to shame and harass their female co-workers.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40841446

User avatar
Smiles
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:12 am
Location: Hua Hin
Liked: 41 times
Been liked: 87 times

#49 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Smiles » Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:12 am

fountainhall wrote:"... I cannot believe it is just the President who makes the decision to press the button. I assume - and hope I am right - that there are enough mentally sound and strong personalities within the chain of command to ensure the nuclear codes are not authorised other than in a case of extreme danger to the country ... "

You are probably correct regarding whether the President is the one-and-only person who can order such an horrendous event.
Found this on Wikipedia. The last two or three sentences are rather scary though.

National Command Authority (NCA) is a term used by the Department of Defense of the United States of America to refer to the ultimate source of lawful military orders. The NCA comprises the President of the United States (as commander-in-chief) and the Secretary of Defense jointly, or their duly deputized successors, i.e. the Vice President and the Deputy Secretary of Defense. The term also refers to communications with the commanding officers of the Unified Combatant Commands to put U.S. forces into action.

Authorization of a nuclear or strategic attack:

Only the President can direct the use of nuclear weapons by U.S. armed forces, including the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP). While the President does have unilateral authority as commander-in-chief to order that nuclear weapons be used for any reason at any time, the actual procedures and technical systems in place for authorizing the execution of a launch order requires a secondary confirmation under a two-man rule, as the President's order is subject to secondary confirmation by the Secretary of Defense. If the Secretary of Defense does not concur, then the President may in his sole discretion fire the Secretary. The Secretary of Defense has legal authority to approve the order, but cannot veto it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_ ... _Authority
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Image

User avatar
Smiles
Posts: 674
Joined: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:12 am
Location: Hua Hin
Liked: 41 times
Been liked: 87 times

#50 Say no more ...

Postby Smiles » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:44 am

August 3, 2017, 11:49 am
Australia’s Prime Minister Slowly Realizes Trump Is a Complete Idiot
By Jonathan Chait
http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/20 ... idiot.html

The transcript of Donald Trump’s discussion with Australian prime minister Malcolm Turnbull obtained by the Washington Post reveals many things, but the most significant may be that Trump in his private negotiations is every bit as mentally limited as he appears to be in public.
In the transcript, Trump is unable to absorb any of these facts. He calls the refugees “prisoners,” and repeatedly brings up the Cuban boatlift (in which Castro dumped criminals onto Florida). He is unable to absorb Turnbull’s explanation that they are economic refugees, not from conflict zones, and that the United States has the ability to turn away any of them it deems dangerous.
President Trump's efforts to fix his headline-making crises often have the effect of making the situation worse.
Turnbull tries to explain to Trump that refugees have not been detained because they pose a danger to Australian society, but in order to deter ship-based smuggling:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trump: Why haven’t you let them out? Why have you not let them into your society?

Turnbull: Okay, I will explain why. It is not because they are bad people. It is because in order to stop people smugglers, we had to deprive them of the product. So we said if you try to come to Australia by boat, even if we think you are the best person in the world, even if you are a Noble [sic] Prize winning genius, we will not let you in.

At this point, Trump fails to understand the policy altogether, and proceeds to congratulate Turnbull for what Trump mistakes to be a draconian policy of total exclusion:

Trump: That is a good idea. We should do that too. You are worse than I am … Because you do not want to destroy your country. Look at what has happened in Germany. Look at what is happening in these countries.

Trump has completely failed to understand either that the refugees are not considered dangerous, or, again, that they are being held because of a categorical ban on ship-based refugee traffic.
He also fails to understand the number of refugees in the agreement:


Trump: I am the world’s greatest person that does not want to let people into the country. And now I am agreeing to take 2,000 people and I agree I can vet them, but that puts me in a bad position. It makes me look so bad and I have only been here a week.

Turnbull: With great respect, that is not right – It is not 2,000.

Trump: Well, it is close. I have also heard like 5,000 as well.

Turnbull: The given number in the agreement is 1,250 and it is entirely a matter of your vetting.

Then Trump returns to his belief that they are bad, and failing to understand the concept that they have been detained merely because they arrived by sea and not because they committed a crime:

Trump: I hate taking these people. I guarantee you they are bad. That is why they are in prison right now. They are not going to be wonderful people who go on to work for the local milk people.

Turnbull: I would not be so sure about that. They are basically —

Trump: Well, maybe you should let them out of prison.

He still thinks they’re criminals.
Later, Trump asks what happens if all the refugees fail his vetting process:


Trump: I hate having to do it, but I am still going to vet them very closely. Suppose I vet them closely and I do not take any?

Turnbull: That is the point I have been trying to make.

After several attempts by Turnbull to explain Australia’s policy, Trump again expresses his total inability to understand what it is:

Trump: Does anybody know who these people are? Who are they? Where do they come from? Are they going to become the Boston bomber in five years? Or two years? Who are these people?

Turnbull: Let me explain. We know exactly who they are. They have been on Nauru or Manus for over three years and the only reason we cannot let them into Australia is because of our commitment to not allow people to come by boat. Otherwise we would have let them in. If they had arrived by airplane and with a tourist visa then they would be here.

Trump: Malcom [sic], but they are arrived on a boat?

After Turnbull has told Trump several times that the refugees have been detained because they arrived by boat, and only for that reason, Trump’s question is, “But they are arrived on a boat?”
Soon after, Turnbull again reiterates that Australia’s policy is to detain any refugee who arrives by boat:


Turnbull: The only people that we do not take are people who come by boat. So we would rather take a not very attractive guy that help you out then to take a Noble [sic] Peace Prize winner that comes by boat. That is the point.”

Trump: What is the thing with boats? Why do you discriminate against boats? No, I know, they come from certain regions. I get it.
No, you don’t get it at all! It’s not that they come from certain regions! It’s that they come by boat!


So Turnbull very patiently tries to explain again that the policy has nothing to do with what region the refugees come from:

Turnbull: No, let me explain why. The problem with the boats it that you are basically outsourcing your immigration program to people smugglers and also you get thousands of people drowning at sea.

At this point, Trump gives up asking about the policy and just starts venting about the terribleness of deals in general:

Trump: I do not know what he got out of it. We never get anything out of it — START Treaty, the Iran deal. I do not know where they find these people to make these stupid deals. I am going to get killed on this thing.

Shortly afterward, the call ends in brusque fashion, and Turnbull presumably begins drinking heavily.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Image


Return to “Everything Else”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 21 guests