Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Dodger
Liked: 8 times
Been liked: 90 times

#151 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Dodger » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:45 pm

Donald's family seem to have abandoned him...probably from sheer embarrassment.

Joachim

#152 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Joachim » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:08 am

The other day I watched a town hall meeting with Paul Ryan. In particular, there was discussion about Foxconn plans to build a new plant in his district in Wisconsin. Dozens of thousandsof new high tex jobs. New high tex hub in Midwest. At least a part of supply chain for Apple will be in US. Good for America, Wisconsin and Apple!

Joachim

#153 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Joachim » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:15 am

fountainhall wrote:
Joachim wrote:What I find fascinating about this thread is that citizens of two countries UK and Canada cannot stop bashing America.

Am I wrong in thinking that America has proclaimed itself the leader of the Free World for many decades now?

In some sense I like response of Smiles much more than yours. He explicitly denies that he is bashing America. From the totality of your posts it is quite clear to me that you do not like America (to put it very mildly) and Trump is just a pretext to vent your feelings. And, of course, it is not up to me to decide what you can or cannot post here. Just be honest and say that you do not like America (feel free to use stronger language if Gaybutton does not mind).

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 414 times

#154 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:01 am

Joachim wrote:if Gaybutton does not mind

Gaybutton does mind. This topic is about Trump. It's not about fountainhall or whether anyone is bashing America.

I have said, time and time again - stick only with the issues. You have not been doing that. This post and your last post on the North Korea topic are meant to antagonize fountainhall and some of your other posts as well. I'm not going to have that kind of posting on my board.

If you're not going to abide by the board rules and my wishes about getting personal with each other, you're not going to last much longer on this board. Do it again and you're gone.

Have I made it clear yet?

RichLB
Been liked: 25 times

#155 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby RichLB » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:34 am

With all the pundits talking about Trump vetoing Congresses budget if it does not include monies to build his wall and that he will refuse to accept an increase in the debt ceiling, I am unsure about the effect of that action on us common citizens. If the budget is vetoed and/or the debt ceiling is not raised, will Social Security Checks still be funded, will welfare recipients be cut off, will the VA be closed, and so on? What are the practical effects of those threats taking place?

fountainhall
Liked: 75 times
Been liked: 231 times

#156 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby fountainhall » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:48 am

Joachim wrote:Foxconn plans to build a new plant in his district in Wisconsin. Dozens of thousandsof new high tex jobs. New high tex hub in Midwest. At least a part of supply chain for Apple will be in US. Good for America, Wisconsin and Apple!

We agree on one thing! Great for those workers1 But you omit to mention at what cost. Foxconn will receive in the region of US$3 billion in subsidies to open that plant. Do you know how that works out per job created? Let me enlighten you - US$231,000 PER JOB!

Steve Deller, a professor of agriculture and applied economics at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, said a $3 billion deal over 15 years is likely “too pricey in terms of potential economic benefit back to the state.”

“Throwing money into incentives makes a slippery slope,” he said. “(People) get so wrapped up in the winning game, in the headline of ‘we got it’ that they lose sight (of the) pretty steep price.”

https://9to5mac.com/2017/07/28/wisconsi ... k-per-job/

fountainhall
Liked: 75 times
Been liked: 231 times

#157 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby fountainhall » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:18 am

Joachim wrote:From the totality of your posts it is quite clear to me that you do not like America (to put it very mildly) and Trump is just a pretext to vent your feelings . . Just be honest and say that you do not like America (feel free to use stronger language if Gaybutton does not mind).

If permitted by GB, I would like you to expand on those comments by asking you to list specific examples. I agree I have written about the US healthcare system and believe it is vastly too expensive. Excellent facilities and I have no doubt excellent care - but for only those who can actually afford it. And yes, I dislike Trump intensely. In that I am far from alone, and not just in the world outside the USA. in my view Trump is a loathsome, lying, self-serving, narcissistic individual.

But to infer from that that I "do not like America" is not only totally and massively wrong - respectfully it is like saying 1 + 2 = 23! Apart from the two subjects I have cited above, when have I ever said I disliked America? Two of my best friends live in America (one in New York where I have many other casual friends and one in Kentucky) and I enjoy visiting them as often as I can. I have actually visited America well over 30 times both on business and pleasure. Yes, America offers a tremendous amount for the visitor. On separate trips in addition to the large east/west coast cities I loved visiting Charleston SC, New Orleans, Jackson Hole, the Grand Canyon, Carmel, Honolulu - even Las Vegas, although the latter more for the food and the utterly stunning Cirque du Soleil shows (oh, and Bette Midler's hugely funny "The Showgirl Must Go On" at Caesar's Palace). The arts in America are as good as anywhere, if not better. Ten years ago friends said I was mad because I flew from Bangkok to Chicago in freezing December just to see a Handel opera. Visits to New York are never without seeing at least one musical and often plays (one day i saw "M Butterfly" in the afternoon and then "Anything Goes" with Patti Lupone at the Vivien Beaumont Theatre in Lincoln Center in the evening), opera and ballet - seeing Baryshnikov with American Ballet Theater at the State Theater was one highlight, as was the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater in Ailey's signature work "Revelations".

copyright: Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater

I have turned down two good jobs in America. The ONLY reason I turned both down was because I enjoy being based in Asia and the work I do here. I did not wish to move anywhere.

So if you are going to make unequivocal statements about a poster, please state facts - not fancies.

Gaybutton
Site Admin
Been liked: 414 times

#158 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Gaybutton » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:10 pm

fountainhall wrote:If permitted by GB

If he wants to expand on those comments, he'll have to do it by PM. This topic is about Trump and I intend to keep it that way.

firecat69
Been liked: 11 times

#159 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby firecat69 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:40 pm

Joachim wrote:The other day I watched a town hall meeting with Paul Ryan. In particular, there was discussion about Foxconn plans to build a new plant in his district in Wisconsin. Dozens of thousands of new high tex jobs. New high tex hub in Midwest. At least a part of supply chain for Apple will be in US. Good for America, Wisconsin and Apple!

Ignorance is Bliss. First this deal with Foxconn has been under discussion for years , mostly under the Obama Administration although it is mainly a state giveaway of tax $'s. 2nd this is at least the 3rd deal ( in different states) ballyhooed by this company with no results .
It will be years before we see any results if it is done and the cost to the taxpayers may or may not be worth it.

Smiles
Liked: 39 times
Been liked: 84 times

#160 Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 4

Postby Smiles » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:55 pm

And to add to Firecat's comments on this: Joachim, do really believe that a huge company like Foxccom would start building a brand new massive centre for high tech production needing hundreds (if not thousands) of new, highly educated employees; needing incredible amounts of studious planning; costing millions (if not billions) of dollars simply because a moron who is now a President seems to think he is smart enough in only 6 months in office to attract an excrutiatingly sophisticated company which would normally take at the very least 3 to 5 years of serious contemplation?

And moreover ... do you think that Trump's base in the north east of America who apparently work in coal mines (or other such moribund businesses) which are fast disappearing because it's essentially a 19th century energy source and who voted for him to "bring back the coal" are all going to immediately jump from the mine to the labratory, and who are mostly 45 years old and up and have no desire to go back to school to possibly ~ just possibly ~ make themselves useful to Foxccom other than janitorial duty.

And after all that ... will Foxccom hire them because an idiot of a President thinks he will make a difference? Of course not! Trump doesn't give a flying fuck about those poor redundants whom he originally promised, during the campaign, to take care of. He got their votes by lying to them ... and he hopes he can keep them by lying to them all over again.

Trump has already, many times over, shown that he has neither the intellect nor the empathy to actually make a positive difference to the American economy in general or those Americans who work within it.
Trump loves nothing or anyone except Trump ... the only thing he cares about are the hosannas he revels in when he desides it's time once again to ejaculate on The Base, the folks who obliviously excite themselves into orgiastic spasms during in childish rallies.
That's precisely all there is to this President: he is TS Elliot's Hollow Man, wallowing in the mud of Freud's Ego.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Return to “Everything Else”