"Dunkirk"

fountainhall
Liked: 71 times
Been liked: 206 times

#11 Re: "Dunkirk"

Postby fountainhall » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:29 am

PeterUK wrote:I went to see it with my older brother at the local Gaumont (long since gone)

From my dim and distant past I well remember the Gaumont in my home town. I did not realise it must have been part of a chain like Rank's Odeon cinemas. Close to the main street there were ten cinemas, some playing first run features but always with the addition a cheap 'B' movie, others showing double bill reruns of moves about a year old, the latter for virtual peanuts!

fountainhall
Liked: 71 times
Been liked: 206 times

#12 Re: "Dunkirk"

Postby fountainhall » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:51 pm

firecat69 wrote:Just for context. Would be interested in hearing what you thought about my favorite movies of the last year.

Hidden Figures
Lion
Hacksaw Ridge

I only saw Hidden Figures which I really enjoyed. The other two I saw last year which I equally enjoyed were -

Manchester by the Sea
The Assassin - a masterful and beautiful film by the Taiwanese director Hou Hsiao-hsian

Sadly the official good trailer does little justice to the actual film.

Captain Kirk
Been liked: 15 times

#13 Re: "Dunkirk"

Postby Captain Kirk » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:06 pm

If I had a criticism of Dunkirk is that it was just too clean, as in no blood at all, anywhere. Sure those guys out there saw plenty.

Smiles
Liked: 38 times
Been liked: 83 times

#14 Re: "Dunkirk"

Postby Smiles » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:38 pm

I'll stick with 'Moonlight', the most compelling film I've seen in the last few years. It takes more than a single viewing to wrap yourself around Chiron/Little/Black's story.
The last 20 minutes of Moonlight are a tour de force of understated film making.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Return to “Everything Else”