Time for Something Serious!!

fountainhall

Re: Time for Something Serious!!

Post by fountainhall »

Every year the Edinburgh International Fringe Festival gives an award for the funniest jokes heard during performances. This year the top two were -

Ken Cheng: "I’m not a fan of the new pound coin, but then again, I hate all change.”

Frankie Boyle: “Trump’s nothing like Hitler. There’s no way he could write a book.”
Smiles

Looking for C S Lewis ...

Post by Smiles »

... which I was this morning. Watching a movie named 'Shadowlands', which turned out to be a part of the English/Irish writer C.S. Lewis's life.
I had vaguely heard of the name before, but had never read anything of his. So what does one do (besides calling up PeterUK that is)? ... of course!: Wikipedia, what else?
Read up on Lewis, then, noting that in his life he was a somewhat-friend of G.K Chesterton I clicked on that link as well ... Wikipedia being chock-a-block full of delicious 'Clickable Links'.
And herein find the enormously funny GK Chesterton (Lewis, being a devout latter-day Catholic, was not all that indulgent of to many ha-ha's).

~~ G.K Chesterton was a large man, standing 6 feet 4 inches and weighing around 286 lbs.
His girth gave rise to a famous anecdote. During the First World War a lady in London asked why he was not "out at the Front"; he replied, "If you go round to the side Madam, you will see that I am."

~~ On another occasion Chesterton remarked to his friend George Bernard Shaw, "To look at you, anyone would think a famine had struck England."
Shaw retorted, "To look at you, anyone would think you have caused it."

~~ P. G. Wodehouse once described a very loud crash as "a sound like G. K. Chesterton falling onto a sheet of tin".

GK Chesterton at age 17:

A sketch of GK Chesterton some years later, after many a lunch and dinner at the club:

Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )