travelerjim

US Social Security increase 2.2% January 2018

Post by travelerjim »

+2.2% increase in Social Security benefits January 2018

http://www.foxbusiness.com/markets/2017 ... years.html
firecat69

Re: US Social Security increase 2.2% January 2018

Post by firecat69 »

Lest anyone be ignorant enough to think this has anything to do with Trump, well maybe it does because cost of living is going up faster then wages ( still waiting for all those jobs )and no President has anything to do with these increases. They are adjusted accord ing to the CPI.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/cpiw.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Sounds good to me. I was not expecting any increase at all for the foreseeable future. I'll take what I can get.
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Firecat..
I posted this as sharing a matter of fact...

It has nothing to do with ignorance nor President Trump.

Many will appreciate the 2.2% increase in January.

Enjoy your weekend!

Tj
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

travelerjim wrote:I posted this as sharing a matter of fact. It has nothing to do with ... President Trump.
So ... that would tend to imply that you have sent the very same notice to the (American) members of his board every year, the COLA increases being annual. And that nicety of course would include the Obama years.
Is that the case?
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

You are too funny. About as much of a chance as TJ posting the 7 years of job reports under Obama or the unemployment rate crashing downward after the last loser Republican in the White House almost put us into the next depression.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:Is that the case?
The last increase I got began November 2016. I got a whopping US $5 more per month. If this increase goes through, I'll get about 6 times as much. Obviously not very much and I don't care whether Trump had anything to do with it or not, but as I said, I'll take what I can get.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Gaybutton wrote:The last increase I got began November 2016. I got a whopping US $5 more per month. If this increase goes through, I'll get about 6 times as much. Obviously not very much and I don't care whether Trump had anything to do with it or not, but as I said, I'll take what I can get.
COLA increases on Canada Pension (CPP) and Old Age Pension (OAP) are received annually, like clockwork. Since 2008 (the financial meltdown) until right now the increases have been a pittance, specifically because the cost of living/inflation figures has been minuscule. I'm sure that's the same dynamic in the US.
Also, the Canadian PM, as well as the entire House of Commons cannot take credit for pension COLA increases. It's totally automatic, at least until the government changes the CPP statutes. No party would have the nerve, or the decency, to do that!

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:Also, the Canadian PM, as well as the entire House of Commons cannot take credit for pension COLA increases.
As far as I know, Trump has not tried to take credit for it. I'm guessing he didn't even know about it. If he did, he'd probably try to stop it.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Gaybutton wrote:As far as I know, Trump has not tried to take credit for it. I'm guessing he didn't even know about it. If he did, he'd probably try to stop it.
I know that. My comment was to do with TravelerJim implying that the increase was linked to some sort of Trump's fabulous economic stimulus ... which of course does not exist.