US Social Security increase 2.2% January 2018

travelerjim

Re: US Social Security increase 2.2% January 2018

Post by travelerjim »

Posters should know that the President nor Congress has any say in the rate increases for Social Security in the USA.

The Social Security Trustees SOLELY make that decision by law. They issue an Annual Report and if upon review of the Cost Of Living in the USA by the Trustees ..they announce if there is to be an COL increase in benefits

Tj
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

I said that about 6 posts ago. Interesting how you didn't bother to say that in your original post??
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Meanwhile, you guys hounded Travelerjim so much, instead of just sticking to the issues, despite me asking several times to stick only to the issues without getting personal about it, that Travelerjim has asked me to delete his account - which is exactly what I did not want to happen.

I'm quite upset about that. I told him I'm going to wait before actually deleting his account in hopes he will change his mind.

Meanwhile, now I regret that I wasn't more aggressive about it. If you gents have really succeeded in causing him to be upset to the point that he wants to leave the board, now we're only going to have everybody agreeing with each other.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

I hope he changes his mind ... for all your own reasons above.
I think everyone who has participated on these 'Trump' threads has bent over backwards not to have this happen. He may not think that, but I think is true in the main.
But just mentioning his name should not be construed as 'attacks' ... although it seems as he is taking it that way.
Most of the main posters on these threads (although TJ was pretty much on his own) implored him to get serious regarding his answers to important questions, but he insisted on regurgitating that which was obviously propaganda and cliches ... no matter how hard one attempted to get some real facts. That technique was very frustrating, and frankly, very Trumpian.

But I can understand the feeling of getting piled-on. It ain't easy.
He stood his ground mightily for a very long time. Why quit now?
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

firecat69 wrote:Lest anyone be ignorant enough to think this has anything to do with Trump, well maybe it does because cost of living is going up faster then wages ( still waiting for all those jobs )and no President has anything to do with these increases. They are adjusted accord ing to the CPI.
firecat69 wrote:You are too funny. About as much of a chance as TJ posting the 7 years of job reports under Obama or the unemployment rate crashing downward after the last loser Republican in the White House almost put us into the next depression.
firecat69 wrote:I said that about 6 posts ago. Interesting how you didn't bother to say that in your original post??
This topic was not posted in the Trump thread, where it generally would have been "fair game" for the discussion of politics. This was simply a news announcement and I am a bit shocked that a certain person has jumped all over Jim. This is tantamount to prejudice, sorry to say. Just because his comments elsewhere have been contrary to most of our own ideals, doesn't make it right for one poster to write three hideously unfair posts calling him out. I don't blame Jim one bit over his feelings of estrangement, and we are supposed to consider our liberal selves more compassionate toward our fellow man. Is this not hypocritical, here and now, against this particular man? I don't believe the general board sentiment is truly representative of Khun Firecat, and not sure what suddenly prompted this bitterness in such an innocuous thread.

I doubt I will score any points for raising this issue, given a certain intolerance. But I too, hope Jim does not withdraw. While we may quarrel with him over his political affiliation, this thread has absolutely nothing to do with that.

More pertinent to the topic, while my SS benefits may go up 2.2%, my Medicare premiums may rise proportionately as well, just as it did last time there was a SS increase. That net result increase was 0%. (I spend one month in the US twice a year to visit family and use the medical benefits, as do many of my fellow expatriates.) All good and well for my fine fellows not using Medicare, but for those of us who do, it will be remarkable if the Medicare premiums do not raise likewise.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Smiles wrote:just mentioning his name should not be construed as 'attacks'
Maybe he simply has had enough of it. The only person I can recall on any of these boards who has been the subject of more personal attacks than Travelerjim is me.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

I see nothing hideous or predjudicial in any of his three posts. Strongly put yes, attacking no.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

We are not going to have this discussion. The topic is about Social Security - or was about Social Security. It's not about Travelerjim and it's not going to morph into a debate about whether posts were strongly put or attacks.

All he did was post the news about the Social Security increase and the source of information - and now that is going to turn into a brouhaha? Sorry, no.

There will be NO more discussion about Travelerjim.

- Topic Closed -