Climate Change – What do the People of Phoenix Think?

fountainhall

Re: Climate Change – What do the People of Phoenix Think?

Post by fountainhall »

artic55 wrote: But have you guys noted......the polar ice caps are still there, wonder why!!!
But have you noted that the ice at both poles is reducing at a rapidly increasing rate?
The Arctic Ice Cap is shrinking dramatically. Roughly the size of the United States, it has lost an area roughly the combined size of Massachusetts and Connecticut each year since the late 1970s. Since the 1950s, when data was first collected on the Arctic, the ice cap has lost nearly 22 percent of its volume. It is projected that in another 50 years, nearly half of the Arctic Ice Cap will be gone.

The primary role that sea ice plays in global climate its ability to efficiently reflect the Sun's radiation. This property is called "albedo," the measure of the reflecting power of a surface. The albedo of snow-covered sea ice is 0.90, meaning it reflects 90% of the Sun's radiation. Just like wearing a white shirt will keep you cool when you're out in the Sun, the sea ice covering the Arctic keeps the thermostat low. The ocean surface, however, is almost black, and it only reflects 10%, meaning it absorbs 90%. After something absorbs sunlight, it emits heat. Less sea ice and more ocean surface will lead to a warmer Arctic, and a warmer climate.
http://www.amusingplanet.com/2015/03/ph ... w-how.html

What about the glaciers? 23 years ago I was in a small ship in Alaska's Glacier Bay, an inlet with an amazing 16 glaciers. This photo shows the Muir Glacier in 1941 when the depth of the ice at the centre was 0.7 km thick.

Now see the same glacier in 2004. In that period it had retreated by more than 7 kms.

The same is true of all but one of the glaciers in that Bay.

Not satisfied? How about the glaciers in Bhutan about which I wrote a few weeks ago.

This satellite image shows the termini of several glaciers in the Himalayan mountains of Bhutan. The glaciers have been receding over the past few decades, and lakes have formed on the surfaces and near the termini of many of the glaciers. Himalayan glaciers are among the fastest retreating glaciers globally due to the effects of global warming, and this will eventually result in water shortages for hundreds of millions of people who rely on glacier-dependent rivers in China, India and Nepal.
http://www.peopleandtheplanet.com/index ... ic=50.html
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

artic55 wrote:But have you guys noted......the polar ice caps are still there, wonder why!!!
Yes, they're still there. Not as much as before and steadily declining, but for now the ice caps are there.

Of course, the media is lying to the world about it. And the scientists are either also lying or they're nothing but a bunch of quacks and crackpots too.

Oh well, believe what you want.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Well, this article refutes the claims of climate change deniers and references the data links in post 13. The article also shows that the data is misinterpreted on sea ice fluctuations at both polar caps.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/ene ... ee98ac16e7

And,

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015 ... te-change/

Fact, sea levels are rising; fact, climate change is real. Strong science refutes your personal views on the Paris agreement.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

artic55 wrote: But have you guys noted......the polar ice caps are still there, wonder why!!!
Because they're 6 fucking miles deep (or so). :lol: Takes awhile ... (thus my dates into the 2050's). Fountainhall, you're too too nice with these wankers.

PS ... forget Nixon. I'm Canadian, and know a lot more about ice than most Floridians.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

artic55

Post by artic55 »

My friends Global Warming fear mongers

Minimum Arctic sea ice was recorded back in 2012, since then it has increased.........but we are told that the last 3 years are the hottest s in recorded history.......to me that does not make any sense, but then a lot of things don't!!! If you care for facts look at this graph showing every year since 1979.......http://nsidc.org/arcticseaicenews/charc ... ......same goes for the Antarctic........

I was just like you my dear Gaybutton, I believed the media but unlike you I decided to check the DATA.....and it simply does not add up, but then again some of us are just to old to change!!

Smiles my friend, you are from Canada, and you don't know that there is no Ice cap on the north pole, only sea ice, and if it melts it doesn't raise sea level. Greenland has an icecap, and it is about 2 miles only, the icecap on Antarctica is about 7000 feet, so I don't know where you got your 6 miles of ice thickness from!!!

Btw Im from Iceland so I know a thing or two about ice and cold climate!!!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Folks, when some decide to get personal with each other, rather than sticking strictly to the issues, that's when I start deleting posts - which I have just done. I also deleted the responses because without the presence of the original, they no longer make sense.

And please - don't bother me with "Why did you delete my post" PMs. Just stick to the issue itself and there won't be any further trouble.

You can debate about climate change and global warming as much as you wish, but if the posts start to get personal, as soon as I see them you can expect them to be gone.

artic55

Post by artic55 »

That's one way of settling the issue, delete what you disagree with!!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

artic55 wrote:I think it was one of your former presidents....Mr. Nixon who said that Americans only believed it if it was on TV...or something to that effect. I think this "discussion" proves he was right!! Just like infants, you old timers eat what you are feed, in this case by the media.

But have you guys noted......the polar ice caps are still there, wonder why!!!
Please state your credentials so you can post intelligently on this subject other than just your own opinion, being a layman doing your own analysis or living in Iceland doesn't validate your conclusion. Your own data links, NASA satellite images, sea level data, observable global temperature warming, everything taken in its entirety as reviewed by the scientific community concludes climate change and rising future sea levels because of man are in fact real. Yes, you can find articles on this subject that differ but I bet they haven't undergone scholarly review. You or Tj can quote me references that the earth is flat but I won't believe them.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

artic55 wrote:Minimum Arctic sea ice was recorded back in 2012, since then it has increased.........
It might help your argument if you posted an accurate link. Click on the one you list and we get -
This is somewhat embarrassing, isn’t it?
It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for.
Oops! But we all make mistakes! Even over climate change. Funny thing is - when you click on one of the links on the side "Arctic sea ice maximum at record low for third straight year" your argument over Arctic Ice having increased since 2012 falls somewhat flat.
Arctic sea ice appears to have reached its annual maximum extent on March 7. This is the lowest maximum in the 38-year satellite record , , , This year’s maximum extent is 1.22 million square kilometers (471,000 square miles) below the 1981 to 2010 average maximum of 15.64 million square kilometers (6.04 million square miles) and 97,000 square kilometers (37,000 square miles) below the previous lowest maximum that occurred on February 25, 2015. This year’s maximum is 100,000 square kilometers (39,000 square miles) below the 2016 maximum, which is now third lowest
Facts matter! Seems you are arguing against your own fake facts!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

artic55 wrote:That's one way of settling the issue, delete what you disagree with!!
I did no such thing and I resent that accusation. Perhaps you might have noticed that the rest of your posts, the ones I disagree with and the ones in which you deprecate me are all left standing, along with dozens of posts that I disagree with from different people on other topics.

The fact is I deleted posts in which you were personally attacked. If that presents a problem for you, would you prefer that I let people personally attack you?

On this board, nobody gets to make personal attacks. However, if you enjoy getting personally attacked, let me know. I might be willing to make an exception . . .