How can I find a long lost boy?

artic55

How can I find a long lost boy?

Post by artic55 »

Gentlemen.

I am hoping that some of you old timers in Thailand can help me or direct me how to locate a long lost lover and a dear friend. I have not heard from him since 2014. I only have his name and surname, his phone number is not working any more, and I never rely knew where he was from. Any directions would be appreciated, I am planning my next trip this fall and hope to contact him just to see how he is doing.

Thank you in advance.
artic55
Gaybutton

Re: How can I find a long lost boy?

Post by Gaybutton »

If you want any of us to be able to help you, his name, photos, where he worked, where he lived when you knew him (you didn't even tell us whether you knew him in Bangkok, Pattaya, or anywhere else), the name and province of his home town if you have even a guess, names of friends and where they can be located, - any information you can provide. Did he have a profile on any of the gay hook-up sites?

How long has it been since his phone number stopped working?

3 years since you've seen him. I wouldn't be very hopeful, but you never know. If it helps, over the years every so often we have indeed managed to find boys farang had lost contact with.

Of course, there is also the possibility that he doesn't want to be found.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Hmm, that's a tough one, a long lost lover and dear friend, but you don't know anything about him (family, friends, his home, no email). If he worked in a bar, for example, I would go back, take his picture with you and ask the staff. He might have simply changed jobs. Of course, you have already checked FB or if you know one of his friends, check their FB page. You can always hire a detective agency as a last resort.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I hope you find him, but it's sadly not unusual for even just good friends to disappear. For several years I knew a young man from Roi-et who worked as a waiter in a top restaurant in Bangkok. He was then 25, looked stunning, spoke good English but also was one of those guys who have extraordinary charisma. After we had got to know each other, he would often come round to my apartment after work where we would drink, chat and mostly laugh till very late. He always told me he was not gay. Although I hoped he might one day find his way to my bed, we'd have a little cuddle but he always politely declined and so I'd make up a bed for him on the sofa bed in the sitting room.

He wanted to work overseas. There are several restaurants in Bangkok with branches outside the country and he signed a contract to work in Dubai. He had asked me review it. I told him it was basically slave labour - 8 guys sharing a dormitory, no return to Thailand till after 2 years etc. At least they did not take away his passport. We corresponded a lot during his absence. At first it was clear he was enjoying being away from Thailand. After 4 or 5 months, the conditions of his work began to depress him. Soon he just wanted to come home. I helped him with his return air ticket and was delighted to see him again.

Having had a taste of life outside the country, though, he was still attracted by the much higher wages. Within a year he had got a job on a very respectable cruise company whose ships mostly sailed in the Baltic and Mediterranean. Keeping in touch was less easy because of the huge cost of emailing from cruise liners and he didn't often get shore leave. But then after about 8 months he mailed to say he was coming back for six weeks. He mailed again to tell me he had arrived at BKK but was going home to see his family. He'd be back in Bangkok about 10 days later and hoped he could come and stay.

That was the last I ever heard from him. Emails went unanswered. Phone calls initially went unanswered and then the number ceased to work. Even two years later the email address continued to work as mails were not bouncing back. Saddened that I could not see him, I was far more concerned that something might have happened to him. And I guess that must have been the case. It's the not knowing that is difficult, even now.

So I wish you lots of luck.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I am not quite sure what other people's experiences have to do with yours however, if you are unable or unwilling to state more info here I can't see how anyone reading your post can help!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Wow. This is my story, but I found him after being out of touch for 3 years. I had more info than you (apparently) have, but it is possible.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

You may want to try Facebook by friending others who may know him. I often check (or rather check off) "people you may know" (mostly Thais) on Facebook however recently came across two Thai guys who I was "familiar" with and had lost contact. Sort of a "six degrees of separation" scenario.

Six degrees of separation is the idea that all living things and everything else in the world are six or fewer steps away from each other so that a chain of "a friend of a friend" statements can be made ... Wikipedia