Bill Maher's racial slur

Gaybutton

Bill Maher's racial slur

Post by Gaybutton »

This is what Bill Maher said to Senator Ben Sasse on his latest Real Time show. I watched the Real Time show before any of the publicity about the comment came out, so I was taken by surprise when he made that comment.

When he said that I got the feeling he instantly wished he hadn't said it and wished he had either said something else or just didn't say anything - but he did say it and now he's facing the resulting heat and backlash. I believe as soon as he said it, he realized he had just made a big mistake.

I believe he meant it as a joke rather than a racist statement, and I think much of the reaction is overreaction, but for him to have said that on a live television show, WRONG JOKE!! Especially in the present climate in which even a subtle hint of racism is a major faux pas and can, and does, get celebrities into real trouble. Unfortunately, now Bill Maher is in trouble. Just how much trouble remains to be seen.
travelerjim

Re: Bill Maher's racial slur

Post by travelerjim »

The end is near for Bill....
The despicable racist slur is unacceptable.
Period!
Fire him...

Tj
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

travelerjim wrote: Period!
Fire him...
Yes, it's almost as bad as pussy grabbing, isn't it?
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Gaybutton wrote:Yes, it's almost as bad as pussy grabbing, isn't it?
People seem to like sensationalism. But our bad boy duffus president has set a precedent with crude, abusive language and his sexist attitude toward women.

Now Bill Maher can run for President.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I do not find it offensive but then again I am not a black man, it was a term used often used in the film "The Butler".

Malcolm X on the subject:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Senator Al Franken Cancels Bill Maher Appearance Amid Controversy

“Senator Franken believes that what Bill Maher said was inappropriate and offensive,” a spokesperson said.

By Todd Van Luling, Huffington Post

6/05/2017

A spokesperson for Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) confirmed to HuffPost that the senator is canceling his appearance on the upcoming episode of “Real Time” in the wake of host Bill Maher’s use of a racial slur on-air.

“Senator Franken believes that what Bill Maher said was inappropriate and offensive, which is why he made the decision not to appear on the next episode of ‘Real Time,’” the spokesperson said in an emailed statement. “He was glad to see Bill, who the Senator considers to be a good friend, apologize and express sincere regret for his comment.”

Last Friday, Maher joked that he was a “house n****r” while in conversation with Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.), who invited Maher to “work in the fields” of his represented state. Maher later called his use of the term “offensive.”

The backlash was strong enough for Maher to apologize ― something he’s known for rarely doing ― and for HBO to confirm that the network currently has no plans to fire him.

Symone Sanders, an activist and former national press secretary for Democratic presidential candidate Bernie Sanders, plans to attend, although she hopes to have a discourse about Maher’s use of the “n-word.”

“I am still planning on doing the show Friday,” she said in an email. “I thought Maher’s comment, Ben Sasse’s reaction and the crowd’s applause were all equally distasteful, inappropriate and offensive. I am glad Maher too recognized as such and issued an apology.”

“I look forward to a dialogue about it and other pressing issues of the week on Friday,” Sanders continued. “The n-word is not a joke to be thrown about and it is never OK to make light of slavery and/or the experiences of enslaved people.”

Ice Cube, Former Rep. David Jolly (R-Fla.) and journalist David Gregory are also scheduled to appear on Friday’s episode. HuffPost did not receive an immediate comment from them as of press time.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bil ... c48169f65c