Benjamin Ferencz - last surviving Nuremberg Prosecutor - turns 97

Gaybutton

Benjamin Ferencz - last surviving Nuremberg Prosecutor - turns 97

Post by Gaybutton »

If you are interested, you can find several more interviews with Mr. Ferencz on YouTube.
Undaunted

Re: Benjamin Ferencz - last surviving Nuremberg Prosecutor - turns 97

Post by Undaunted »

Great movie depicting the trial:

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

2 years ago I visited the Courtroom where the trials were held and the Exhibition on the floor above. A very moving experience.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

PeterUK wrote:I see no reason why these trials need to take so long.
Speaking of the length of time, in the USA a person condemned by the death sentence ends up waiting as long as 20 years, sometimes even longer, before the execution is carried out.

Dzhokhar Tsarnaev might very well be in his mid forties before the execution for his role in the Boston Marathon bombing takes place. A proposed date for his execution hasn't even been set yet.

I've never understood what takes so long.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

PeterUK wrote:I find it striking that the main trial of 24 Nazis at Nuremberg was conducted over a period of just over 10 months. Compare that with the way it can take several years to finish the trial of one defendant at the ICC at The Hague nowadays. I see no reason why these trials need to take so long.
I totally agree. I can only think that finding evidence that is spread amongst wide areas nowadays takes a great deal longer than in a defeated nation. But the length in many cases seems to indicate that something needs to change in the judicial process.

Slobodan Milošević was indicted in 1999 and his trial did not start till the start of 2002. In March 2006 he was found dead in his cell and no verdict was returned. Yet it took another 10 years for judgement to be made in a separate case re ethnic cleansing involving Milošević and the butcher Karadžić The latter was jailed for 40 years but Milošević was cleared! 10 years after his death! There is definitely something wrong with the ICC.