United Airlines - You're on my "I Don't Get It" list

Gaybutton

Re: United Airlines - You're on my "I Don't Get It" list

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:And all for the want of an extra few hundred dollars to persuade one more to get off that flight.
And now that we know what took place and why, the way United handled not only the incident itself, but the aftermath too - it's still on my "I Don't Get It" list.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I don't believe a payout of millions would be justified, not that it would surprise me at all. If it were me I think I'd snap their fingers off if offered circa $100k plus lawyers fees.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Have you seen the size of payouts in cases in the USA where no physical injury at all is at issue? There is now clear evidence that United had no rights under their rules of carriage to turf anyone off a plane once he is actually on board and seated, aircraft police have no rights to use physical force unless provoked with force or have a reasonable suspicion of the person having a weapon (and what possibility is there of that after security checks?), the passenger sustained several injuries including concussion which may have long lasting effects (or that is what a jury will be told), there were 40 or so actual witnesses, a damning video and equally damning comments from United's CEO during the first two days. With his team of red hot lawyers, I still maintain - and will happily take a small bet - that a jury would award a payout in the millions with punitive damages that could be in the 100s of millions. Like it or not, that's the US legal system for you!
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

This article supports the above post, UA has pulled a boner and should pay for it.

http://www.newsweek.com/why-united-were ... dao-583535
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I didn't say it wouldn't happen, just that it is not justified. That said, I was unaware he had two broken teeth and a broken nose so I'd be upping my expectations somewhat. Not to the extent of millions though. He is partly to blame for putting himself in that situation. The other selected passengers did not get hurt at all. In the same situation, as much as it would rile me - and it would - I'd have eventually got off and would have vented my spleen verbally.
Rin

Post by Rin »

Captain Kirk wrote:I didn't say it wouldn't happen, just that it is not justified. That said, I was unaware he had two broken teeth and a broken nose so I'd be upping my expectations somewhat. Not to the extent of millions though. He is partly to blame for putting himself in that situation. The other selected passengers did not get hurt at all. In the same situation, as much as it would rile me - and it would - I'd have eventually got off and would have vented my spleen verbally.
The only way to alter bad corporate behavior is with large settlement costs. United can afford 14 million a year to pay their incompetent CEO, they can afford a few million for Dr Dao to give them the incentive to change their corporate behavior.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Musician claims United supervisor attempted to take her violin during check-in

HOUSTON - Yennifer Correia makes music on her violin.

She said a supervisor at the United Airlines ticket counter at Bush Airport struck a sour note.

“They told me that I had to pay $50 to check in the instrument. I told them, that's not what I'm looking for," Correia said.

Correia said she wanted to carry her precious violin onto the plane for her flight to St. Louis, from Houston, for work. She said it's hundreds of years old and is worth tens of thousands of dollars.

She said the supervisor told her no.

"She was rude from the beginning saying these are the rules. All you can take with you are some personal items on the plane. And the instrument is too big and it's not going to fit," Correia said.

She said when she asked for the supervisor’s full name, the supervisor tried to remove the airline luggage tag from Correia’s luggage attempting to get Correia’s name as well.

"She proceeded to throw herself on top of my suitcase. So she could take the rest of the sticker from my suitcase. At this point, we're both struggling -- pulling the suitcase -- and I'm trying to get her not to take the sticker from me," Correia said.

Federal law requires airlines to allow musicians to take instruments on board as carry-on luggage.

United released a statement to KPRC 2. It said, “We’re disappointed anytime a customer has an experience that does not live up to his or her expectation. We are reaching out to Ms. Correia to gain a better understanding of what occurred and to offer assistance.”

http://www.click2houston.com/news/music ... g-check-in
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Where do the airlines get these idiots from?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

There are a lot of them about. Musicians travelling on quite a number of airlines particularly seem to suffer an unusually high number of damaged instruments, despite the latest carbon fibre cases etc. It amazes me that the driver in a Nascar or F1 car can be perfectly safe in a crash thanks to the materials used to protect him; yet, they'd probably not be so lucky with baggage handlers at airports! The United statement is pathetic, for this will be the umpteenth time their staff have made life difficult for instrumentalists.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

The brand new Boeing 797 should take care of all the worries. You may well need some high quality ear buds if you get a seat close to the nose, but that annoyance should be cancelled out by the extra care, in every way, you'll receive . . . given the fact that the cabin crew numbers are in the high 200's.

I've heard rumours that Donald Trump (himself!) designed this aircraft from scratch.

Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )