About your sperm

readerc54

About your sperm

Post by readerc54 »

From NY Times
As a couple finishes its business, millions of sperm begin theirs: rushing toward an egg to fertilize it. But these days, scientists say, an increasing proportion of sperm — now about 90 percent in a typical young man — are misshapen, sometimes with two heads or two tails.

Even when properly shaped, today’s sperm are often pathetic swimmers, veering like drunks or paddling crazily in circles. Sperm counts also appear to have dropped sharply in the last 75 years, in ways that affect our ability to reproduce.

Human and animal studies suggest that a crucial culprit is a common class of chemical called endocrine disruptors, found in plastics, cosmetics, couches, pesticides and countless other products.

And so are men and boys. Apparently related to the problem of declining semen quality is an increase in testicular cancer in many countries; in undescended testicles; and in a congenital malformation of the penis called hypospadias (in which the urethra exits the side or base of the penis instead of the tip). These problems are often found together and are labeled testicular dysgenesis syndrome.

http://www.nytimes.com/2017/03/11/opini ... ouble.html
fountainhall

Re: About your sperm

Post by fountainhall »

I have read that another factor in inhibiting the production of "good" sperm is the tightness of jeans around the crotch area. Instead of allowing some natural cooling, they overheat and constrict that area - and perhaps put too many sperms to sleep!
readerc54

Re: About your sperm

Post by readerc54 »

There's also a study out there that found that those males who wore jockey-type briefs underwear were more likely to suffer similar issues compared to those who wore boxers. When I entered the army I was issued a half-dozen white boxers and although I managed to get use to them I reverted to briefs when discharged.

This excerpt from the Times article caught my attention:
“The semen quality among young Chinese men has declined over a period of 15 years,” concluded the study, which involved more than 30,000 men."

Already trying to reverse the one child policy, China can ill-afford any more bad news in the birthrate department.