Oscars - What a F--k Up!

fountainhall

Oscars - What a F--k Up!

Post by fountainhall »

In what I found to be one of the most boring Oscar shows for years, the surprise was kept to the end. Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway, two old school troopers who you'd expect would get it right, announced "La La Land" as the Best Picture. Just as the producers were finishing thanking their Mums (when will the Academy prohibit thanking family members and so shorten the event by a good 15 minutes), it is announced a mistake has been made and "Moonlight" was the actual winner. Confusion! Consternation! And yes it was true. Someone had really screwed up big time. Well, we all make mistakes, but none of us has ever done such a major one in front of a viewing audience in the 100s of millions! Worst Oscar screw-up ever.

Congratulations to Casey Affleck for wining Best Actor, but your rambling acceptance speech was pathetic!
thaiworthy

Re: Oscars - What a F--k Up!

Post by thaiworthy »

I am not a big Oscar show fan, but I would like to see "Moonlight," whether it had won the award or not.

Reminds me of Steve Harvey's faux pas in the 2015 Miss Universe pageant. But stupid is as stupid does in this case.

In January 2017, Steve Harvey made jokes on Steve Harvey about Asian men, ridiculing the idea that any white woman or black woman would want to date them. "Excuse me, do you like Asian men?", he said, "No, thank you." He went on to add, "I don’t even like Chinese food." The remarks were met with criticism from members of the Asian American community, including New York lawmakers and author Eddie Huang. He targeted Asian men in a string of racist jokes, implying Asian men are not attractive. He mocked the 2002 book How to Date a White Woman: A Practical Guide for Asian Men.

Meeting with President-elect Donald Trump
Harvey has been met with backlash from the African-American community for his decision to meet with President-elect Trump. He has defended his decision, citing that it will help spark positive changes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Harvey

The Oscars error by comparison, seems an innocent mistake.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Here 'tiz:

And an appropriate response:

thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

CNN reports that the global accounting firm PriceWaterhouseCoopers has apologized for the embarrassing envelope mix-up that resulted in "La La Land" being wrongly announced as best picture at the Oscars.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:PriceWaterhouseCoopers has apologized for the embarrassing envelope mix-up
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

No one could have relished the moment more than The Donald who has been serving as Kimmel's pinata for the event.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

You can also see "Moonlight" on Manga. I watched it a week or so ago though I didn't realise it had been nominated!
A quite touching story, quirky cinematography, and subtitles attached which you'll be glad to use, unless some of you white jive-asses live in da hood.

https://myreadingmanga.info/movie-moonlight-2016/
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

aussie

Post by aussie »

Denzel Washington looked a bit upset during Casey Afleck's acceptance speech. I don't think he was too keen about performing the marriage ceremony for the tourist bus couple. Denzel is a great actor and maybe was expecting another win at the Oscars?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

The fault was clearly the auditors Price Waterhouse Coopers. But why on earth did Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway proceed with the announcement when the card they were holding very clearly said Emma Stone, La La Land? The best film card always has credits for the producers and they would know full well it is an exceedingly rare film, if any, that has just one producer. Beatty was clearly confused. Surely, though, he could have questioned the validity of the card he had in front of him. He's not a robot! He's an actor and should be able to handle improvisation!
aussie

Post by aussie »

fountainhall wrote:Beatty was clearly confused. Surely, though, he could have questioned the validity of the card he had in front of him. He's not a robot! He's an actor and should be able to handle improvisation!
Maybe, but Warren Beatty is 79yo and looked very confused so i will forgive him. I am no movie star and not quite 60yo but when put under pressure when something happens that i was not expecting i am not as good at reacting suitably as i once was. In hindsight he should have just stopped and asked to check if there was a mistake but it is history now.

The producers of La La Land which i have not seen but two of my friends walked out of after 30 minutes were very gracious amongst all the confusion and handing over of statues.