Rick Blaine at 75

readerc54

Rick Blaine at 75

Post by readerc54 »

OK, we all know how it ends: Rick goes off with a cop for the "beginning of a beautiful friendship." But this made-for-radio feature takes us behind the scenes of where, when and how it was made. Regardless of what happens Sunday, this will always have a spot in my Top Ten.

As Oscar night approaches, a beloved multi-Oscar-winning classic is turning 75. In 1942, the World War II romance Casablanca brought glory to Warner Bros., and stardom to its leading actors. The Burbank, Calif., soundstage where the movie was made doesn't look like much, but it has taken on a legendary status of its own.

Stage 7 is known as Lucky Seven, according to tour guide John Kourounis. That's because three Warner Bros. best picture winners — The Life of Emile Zola, My Fair Lady and Casablanca — and 10 best picture nominees were shot here.

To get there, Kourounis drives visitors along streets lined with facades — banks, apartment buildings, the coffee shop where Emma Stone works in La La Land. On one corner stands a tan building that doesn't look like anything special.

"As far as we know that is the last remaining exterior set from Casablanca," Kourounis explains. It was on this corner that Rick Blaine (that's Humphrey Bogart) and Ilsa Lund (Ingrid Bergman) learned the Germans were approaching Paris.

http://www.npr.org/2017/02/24/515372794 ... casablanca
readerc54

Re: Rick Blaine at 75

Post by readerc54 »

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Casablanca was my second favorite film, my first was Now Voyager "why ask for the moon when you have the stars". Thirdly, Four Horseman of the apocalypse also any film with Spencer Tracey the best "Inherit the wind" and "Judgement at Nuremberg".

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Wow, 'Now Voyager' one of my all-timers as well (Claude Rains was in that also, as well as Casablanca). Long time since I've seen that one ... I'll see if it's on YouTube, the whole thing, not just a trailer.
'Now Voyager' was all about Bette Davis and how bloody mesmerizing that woman could be in just about all her films. I'm sure she angered a number of her fellow actors simply because of her ability to dominate every scene she was in ... but it was just came natural for her, not necessarily mean, nor egotistical.
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Smiles, the full version: https://youtu.be/8YzTAPNau4U
You like Bette Davis..."All about Eve"....."Mr. Skeffington"...."Dark Victory" 3 of my favorites.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Bette lovers, don't forget Feud, an eight part miniseries premiering In the US on March 5. The first season, entitled Bette and Joan, will centre around the backstage battle between Bette Davis and Joan Crawford during the production of their 1962 film What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?. A gay favourite if ever there was one. It stars Jessica Lang as Joan Crawford, Susan Sarandon as Bette and Judy Davis as Hedda Hopper.