Fingerprint payment

Gaybutton

Fingerprint payment

Post by Gaybutton »

I like new ideas and innovative technology. After all, what could be more secure than your own fingerprint as a means of access to your bank account for paying at a store or even accessing your money at an ATM?

However, I hope there will be alternatives. You're in an accident and lose your fingers. You have a blister. Your finger is bandaged. You're ill, can't go to an ATM, and want to send someone else to withdraw money for you.

Things like that do happen. You never know . . .

Japan firm launches fingerprint payment service in Indonesia

23 Feb 2017

Kyodo News

TOKYO - Information and technology company Liquid Inc said Thursday it has launched a payment service using fingerprint authentication in Indonesia.

Liquid's joint venture set up last November with local conglomerate Salim Group is aiming for several hundred thousand users. Indonesia is Liquid's third overseas market for fingerprint authentication payments after Sri Lanka and the Philippines.

The venture plans to offer the payment service to the Salim group's workforce of around 500,000.

"We are looking forward to developing the next generation payment and business platform in Indonesia, which will contribute to changing people's lifestyle and have a big business impact in Indonesia," said Yasuhiro Kuda, CEO of Tokyo-based Liquid.

Users of the service need to register their fingerprints and deposit money in advance. They can complete payments within three seconds with the system's fingerprint readers, which have an error rate of one in a trillion, according to Liquid.

The company will start registering users' fingerprints this month and start installing fingerprint readers later this year at stores run by Salim, whose businesses range from food and car sales to convenience store operations.

Liquid is currently providing such fingerprint payment services to tens of thousands users in some cities in Japan.

The company is aiming to expand the business in Indonesia, counting on the economic growth of the most populous country in Southeast Asia.

http://www.gaybuttonthai.com/posting.php?mode=post&f=5
readerc54

Re: Fingerprint payment

Post by readerc54 »

I have an account where it's my voice that serves as authentication.

Just a matter of time before hackers figure a way around all of these innovations.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

readerc54 wrote:I have an account where it's my voice that serves as authentication.
Let's hope Rich Little doesn't want your money . . .

readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

You're right; gotta avoid Little. And, yes, I'm older enough to remember when he was a Johnny regular. Those were the days!.

You have to hope that the hacker in your case doesn't have any Gummy Bears lying around.

From Wikipedia

In 2002 a Japanese cryptographer demonstrated how fingerprint recognition devices can be fooled 4 out of 5 times using a combination of low cunning, cheap kitchen supplies and a digital camera.Taking latent fingerprints from a glass, which were enhanced with a super-glue fumes in the form of cyanoacrylate adhesive and photographed. An image tool were then used to improve the contrast and then printed onto a transparency sheet. The sheet were then used to expose a UV sensitive printed-circuit board and etched. The copper imprint were then used for a plastic finger mould and gelatine found in Gummy bears a fake finger could be made.Eleven commercially available fingerprint biometric systems took the fake finger as the real thing. Noted cryptographer Bruce Schneier said "The results are enough to scrap the systems completely, and to send the various fingerprint biometric companies packing..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fingerprint_recognition
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

readerc54 wrote:In 2002 a Japanese cryptographer demonstrated how fingerprint recognition devices can be fooled 4 out of 5 times using a combination of low cunning, cheap kitchen supplies and a digital camera.Taking latent fingerprints from a glass, which were enhanced with a super-glue fumes in the form of cyanoacrylate adhesive and photographed. An image tool were then used to improve the contrast and then printed onto a transparency sheet. The sheet were then used to expose a UV sensitive printed-circuit board and etched. The copper imprint were then used for a plastic finger mould and gelatine found in Gummy bears a fake finger could be made.Eleven commercially available fingerprint biometric systems took the fake finger as the real thing. Noted cryptographer Bruce Schneier said "The results are enough to scrap the systems completely, and to send the various fingerprint biometric companies packing..."
"You've got to be joking, Q."

"I never joke about my work, 007."

I love James Bond. Come to think of it, Donald Trump would make a great James Bond. Much better choice than President. And he probably has fake fingerprints, already.