American airlines want Trump to take on their Gulf rivals

readerc54

Re: American airlines want Trump to take on their Gulf rivals

Post by readerc54 »

US carriers seem to want it both ways. They embraced deregulation, cut back amenities, charge for everything from reserved seat to use of an overhead bin. Now they want Trump to step in and impose regulations--something he opposes on principle.

Unless you're willing to code share, you can't book a flight from the USA to BKK on any US carrier. They decided to concentrate on the more profitable international routes and now they're having regrets. But that hasn't kept US legacy carrier American from partnering with Qatar and Eithad.

Gulf carriers offer one-stop service from major US cites to BKK and at better prices and on newer equipment than the competition.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

(Since it pertains to the general aviation theme, figured I'd post this here rather than opening a new thread)

The government has approved a plan by the Transport Ministry aimed at making Thailand a regional aviation hub. An ambitious idea but my caution flag goes up because it wants to do the job under the auspices of Thai Airways. Thai has a history of poor strategic planning, execution and operating in the red. Even if it was to turn on a dime, the country lacks the aviation infrastructure with its two main airports (BKK and DMK) already past capacity. The plan is to commence this year and not reach completion until 2031.

I wish them all the luck in the world.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/transpo ... reen-light
Jun

Post by Jun »

If the Gulf nations are subsidizing their airlines, I see that as unfair competition & agree with any other airlines who object.

Disclosure: The most objectionable people I encounter in Thailand come from the middle East & the last thing I want to do is fly through that part of the world, since I don't like the company & I perceive a security risk. If their subsidies are shutting down other more desirable routes, I think it's a bad thing.