Gaybutton

Re: What are "Alternative Facts?"

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:As suggested on Bill Maher Friday night
Speaking of Bill Maher, here is his January 27 monologue:

Up2u

Post by Up2u »

RichLB wrote:As suggested on Bill Maher Friday night the only way to defeat "alrernative facts" is to present real facts to those who live within the bubble - and that means those whose only source of news is Fox or Facebook. With enough repetition, Fox facts are perceived as truth when no reality is presented. Unfortunately, that means in places like Thailand (where my TV only receives Fox News) and the red states in the US we sane folk must be courageous enough to stand up to the lies these folks "know" to be true.
Good in theory but it's hopeless, they live in a bubble don't trust science (post #9), suspicious of the media, and trust their guns and religion.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Up2u wrote:
RichLB wrote:As suggested on Bill Maher Friday night the only way to defeat "alternative facts" is to present real facts to those who live within the bubble - and that means those whose only source of news is Fox or Facebook. With enough repetition, Fox facts are perceived as truth when no reality is presented. Unfortunately, that means in places like Thailand (where my TV only receives Fox News) and the red states in the US we sane folk must be courageous enough to stand up to the lies these folks "know" to be true.
Good in theory but it's hopeless, they live in a bubble don't trust science (post #9), suspicious of the media, and trust their guns and religion.
Totally agree. Unfortunately while courage is powerful, embracing theory is the creation of its own bubble. The character traits of suspicion and distrust give rise to alternative facts that spring from an alternative reality. Totally psychotic. But when this behavior is performed en masse, I believe it is generally viewed as not psychotic and therefore untreatable in the short term.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thaiworthy wrote:But when this behavior is performed en masse, I believe it is generally viewed as not psychotic and therefore untreatable in the short term.
"The whole world was collectively sick on those years and still is."
Edith Evans (Dr. Parmentier), 'QB VII'