In case you missed it, here's Trump's inauguration speech

pitrevie

Re: In case you missed it, here's Trump's inauguration speech

Post by pitrevie »

No what I am saying that the protests which are now taking place and I am not defending those that riot, are all part of the democratic process. As for Europe on both occasions I voted to remain but that didn't stop those who lost heavily in 1975 from continuing their campaign to get us out of the EU.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

pitrevie wrote:No what I am saying that the protests which are now taking place and I am not defending those that riot, are all part of the democratic process. As for Europe on both occasions I voted to remain but that didn't stop those who lost heavily in 1975 from continuing their campaign to get us out of the EU.
What are the protests meant to achieve?
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Captain Kirk wrote:
windwalker wrote:Is that supposed to be funny?
Simply stating the obvious. You compared Trump to Hitler. You were being ridiculous so I joined in.
Wait and see who is being ridiculous.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

windwalker wrote:Wait and see who is being ridiculous.
Rather major difference in their rhetoric, windwalker. One was intent on invading countries while the other has pretty much said that wars in other countries are none of his business. I get the impression that Trump wouldn't care if the world burned around him as long as nobody threatens America. I do concede that if some nutter does threaten, say for example Kim Jung Headcase, he'd be quite easily provoked. Bigger threat comes from the tea party Haliburton crew who will be eager to sell arms and cajole him into wars to boost the company bank balance.
pitrevie

Post by pitrevie »

Captain Kirk wrote:
pitrevie wrote:No what I am saying that the protests which are now taking place and I am not defending those that riot, are all part of the democratic process. As for Europe on both occasions I voted to remain but that didn't stop those who lost heavily in 1975 from continuing their campaign to get us out of the EU.
What are the protests meant to achieve?
They are part of the democratic process and it will not be the first or last time that protests have had a measurable impact. The protests in the UK against the property tax eventually led to the downfall of that woman and the property tax was abandoned.

However closer to home a lot of people protested against the injustices against gays long before they had any political representation, eventually it led to change.

Following the 1975 referendum the side that suffered an overwhelming defeat in that referendum regrouped and continued their campaign until they got their way.

Following the 2012 election in the USA Trump was urging his followers to march on Washington. His constant refusal to accept Obama as the legitimately elected president until a few months ago led to his election as president. Perhaps now we should all shut up, not do anything until we get another chance to vote him out of office. My guess is that the protests will grow over the next 4 years until he does get booted out.