Heart Attack Advice

Alex

Re: Heart Attack Advice

Post by Alex »

So all of you who are so keen to prevent or survive a heart attack, I take it you prefer dying a slow death clouded in dementia at some God-forsaken retirement home?

I only say that half in jest, since everyone has to die, one way or another. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that I avoided an early James Dean-esque car crash death and an early River Phoenix-style overdose death, but assuming that I get "quite" old, I think I'd prefer a heart attack death over cancer or Alzheimer's.
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

This discussion raises an issue of importance to all: do we have a health care proxy? If we feel strongly about the care we want to receive if seriously disabled by a stroke, accident or other event, a proxy is a way to help ensure that our wishes are followed.

There's also the issue of whether we have a "do not resuscitate" declaration in place.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Alex wrote:So all of you who are so keen to prevent or survive a heart attack, I take it you prefer dying a slow death clouded in dementia at some God-forsaken retirement home?
Alex, perhaps you are missing the point as described by Thaiworthy, prevention/treatment is best way to avoid a heart attack. In my case I persisted in having testing done on my heart to determine my risk of a heart attack. As a result I had bypass surgery which saved my life and that was 10 years ago. And no, I am not clouded in dementia, at least not yet. :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote:I persisted in having testing done on my heart to determine my risk of a heart attack.
Where did you have the testing done? What was involved? How much did it cost?

"I don't get no respect from nobody. I met the Surgeon General. He offered me a cigarette!"
- Rodney Dangerfield
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

readerc54 wrote:This discussion raises an issue of importance to all: do we have a health care proxy? If we feel strongly about the care we want to receive if seriously disabled by a stroke, accident or other event, a proxy is a way to help ensure that our wishes are followed.

There's also the issue of whether we have a "do not resuscitate" declaration in place.
Good point. I believe you are referring to "A Living Will" and a Power of Attorney as a proxy. In the US, a hospital should provide these forms, which you fill out, naming who you wish as your POA. They are then witnessed and notarized. You carry this form on your person at all times. If you collapsed somewhere and were admitted to a hospital, any hospital, how would they know what your wishes were?

This is the procedure in Missouri. It might be different in other states.

This form is only valid in the US. In Thailand, without a Living Will equivalent, the hospital will make every effort to keep you alive despite your wishes. I have not investigated this in Thailand, but should, since I live here 10 months out of the year. Perhaps if this is still pertinent to the subject of this thread, someone else can offer more advice on the details of obtaining such a document in Thailand. I would also suspect that such a document here would also need to be carried with you.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Private hospitals such as Bangkok/Pattaya have such an option. You state what is allowed and what is not and the hospital has this on file...do not resuscitate and no forced feeding are standard options as well as medicate for pain only.. I have this.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote:
windwalker wrote:I persisted in testing done on my heart to determine my risk of a heart attack.
Where did you have the testing done? What was involved? How much did it cost?
The test I had done was a CT (computerized tomography) of the heart.

Heart CT scan. A computed tomography (CT) scan of the heart is an imaging method that uses x-rays to create detailed pictures of the heart and its blood vessels. This test is called a coronary calcium scan when it is done to see if you have a buildup of calcium in your arteries

I paid out of pocket, $300 USD, and done at an imaging facility in USA. Takes a few minutes and not invasive. I knew something was wrong with my heart but other testing procedures such as a stress test did not show anything negative. The CT scan showed three arteries with 90 % blockages, a heart attack waiting to happen.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote:I paid out of pocket, $300 USD, and done at an imaging facility in USA. Takes a few minutes and not invasive. I knew something was wrong with my heart but other testing procedures such as a stress test did not show anything negative. The CT scan showed three arteries with 90 % blockages, a heart attack waiting to happen.
Is there a form of heart "Roto Rooter" for this?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Is there a form of heart "Roto Rooter" for this?
Angioplasty
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Yes, angioplasty, a procedure to expand the blocked areas of the arteries with a balloon and kept open with a stent. In my case the situation was more serious and required bypass grafts.