Heart Attack Advice

Undaunted

Re: Heart Attack Advice

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote:Yes, angioplasty, a procedure to expand the blocked areas of the arteries with a balloon and kept open with a stent. In my case the situation was more serious and required bypass grafts.
Wow! Now I'm worried I just ate a piece of quiche.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Undaunted, suggest you take an aspirin immediately and then get a Cardiac CAT scan..
mariobryant

Post by mariobryant »

Some people are resistant to aspirin's anticlotting effects. So far the research indicates that aspirin fails to affect platelets' tendency to clump, or does so only partially, in 5%–40% of people who take it. These people therefore don't have the same reduction in heart attack and stroke risk that other people gain from aspirin use.
There are probably several reasons why aspirin resistance occurs. The body's response to aspirin may change over time. Some people have trouble absorbing aspirin from the digestive tract. Smoking blunts the effect of aspirin on platelets, as do being overweight and having high cholesterol or high blood pressure. A variety of genes influence how the body responds to aspirin. Finally, a few studies have indicated that a common nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), ibuprofen, may block aspirin's protective effects. The occasional dose of ibuprofen isn't likely to do this, but daily use could.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

No one, regardless of age, should ignore any possible symptoms of heart disease. An ultrasound of the heart will uncover interior problems such as heart valve disease. A CT scan of the heart will show blockages of arteries supplying blood to the heart. Both easy tests and inexpensive. If your life is only worth a couple of hundreds of dollars to you, then save your money for your funeral. And if a couple of aspirins are too expensive then don't worry at all.