Trump Supporters

Up2u

Re: Trump Supporters

Post by Up2u »

I agree Clinton was a clear winner, a knockout blow?... to early to say. I'm sure Trump supporters will be happy and chanting "drain the swamp". Transfer of power and unifying the country after an election is fundamental to a functioning democracy, something that Trump should have learned in an eighth grade civics class. Very scary.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Of course, "it ain't over 'till it's over," but now the election outcome seems quite clear. If Trump actually wins, it would be the most incredible election upset I've ever heard of.

In my opinion Trump virtually thumbed his nose not only at the election process, but every American along with it when he came out with that "I'll keep you in suspense" statement.

Even if Trump really does refuse to concede the election if Hillary wins, so what? Who cares? What could he actually do? What could he do that could prevent Hillary Clinton from being sworn in as the USA's 45th president and, obviously, the first female president? The only thing I can think of would be maybe filing a lawsuit contesting the election.

I wonder if Trump will attend Hillary's inauguration - or even if he will be invited to attend.

I've got a great idea. When Hillary gets her first opportunity to nominate a Supreme Court justice, how about nominating Donald Trump . . .
readerc54

Post by readerc54 »

If this had been the first instead of final debate, the race may be closer than it stands now. Clinton, I agree, won on substance. She remained in control throughout and demonstrated command of all topics. Trump, however, knew what he needed to do to keep his supporters fired up for the final stretch and rarely missed an opportunity to execute on that strategy. Announcing that he's going to decide on whether he accepts the outcome after the fact guarantees that he'll continue to dominate "above-the-fold" headlines until the votes are counted--and then some.

Putting the debate aside for a moment, Clinton has not had a good week. The contents of leaked emails makes it easy to understand why the FBI thought her and her staffers careless in their use of email. Whatever happened to just picking up the phone when you intend to discuss sensitive matters? This practice continued when she left State and moved into campaign mode. And then we hear one operatives describe how the campaign planted people to disrupt Trump appearances and another describe how to rig voter registration. This plays directly into Trump's hands and can be counted on to rile up his base--and others.

It was no coincidence that while the debate was playing out, Philippines' Duterte was making nice in China and taking another opportunity to humiliate Obama. When you consider that (IMO) one of Trump's talking points that registers across both parties is the money the US spends to defend allies (Japan, Korea, NATO, Middle East states, the Philippines and others).

Having said this, I don't believe the sum is sufficient to turn the election in his favor; a case of too little too late. But it does succeed in creating a distinct unease among Americans regardless of where they find themselves on the political fault lines. Trump clearly is what Clinton said him to be: a most dangerous candidate. And that's exactly the way he wants himself to be perceived.

I thought Chris Wallace did a fine job of moderating the debate as was humanly possible and decidedly better than those who went before him.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Thank heaven the 3 debates are over and the major new channels can again focus on the rest of the world.
CNN is the worst offender with panels and individuals dissecting this mountain of dog shit continuously.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Undaunted wrote:Thank heaven the 3 debates are over and the major new channels can again focus on the rest of the world.
CNN is the worst offender with panels and individuals dissecting this mountain of dog shit continuously.
Translation: "My Guy is losing his ass in every conceivable way, there is no hope for Trump and I don't want to talk about this any more ... and neither should anyone else."
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Smiles wrote:Translation: "My Guy is losing his ass in every conceivable way, there is no hope for Trump and I don't want to talk about this any more ... and neither should anyone else."
Translation: Hillary will win and that is a good thing, only please don't die in office or be impeached, I can't even look at Tim Kane. Once again Smiles, I do find that as you are Canadian your affinity for U.S. politics bizarre, then again I can only imagine your boredom as Hua Hin has no Ice Hockey team.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote:Translation: Hillary will win and that is a good thing, only please don't die in office or be impeached
Interestingly enough, the number of presidents and vice presidents who died in office is nearly equal.

Presidents of the United States Who Died In Office:

William Henry Harrison, April 4, 1841
Zachary Taylor, July 9, 1850
Abraham Lincoln, April 15, 1865
James A. Garfield, September 19, 1881
William McKinley, September 14, 1901
Warren G. Harding, August 2, 1923
Franklin D. Roosevelt, April 12, 1945
John F. Kennedy, November 22, 1963

Vice-Presidents of the United States Who Died In Office:

George Clinton, April 20, 1812
Elbridge Gerry, November 23, 1814
William R. King, April 18, 1853
Henry Wilson, November 22, 1875
Thomas A. Hendricks, November 25, 1885
Garret A. Hobart, November 21, 1899
James S. Sherman, October 30, 1912

http://politicalgraveyard.com/offices/pdio1.html

The only presidents to actually have been impeached were Andrew Johnson (Abraham Lincoln's vice president - took office upon Lincoln's death) and Bill Clinton. Both survived their trial and remained in office. Richard Nixon, the only president to ever have resigned, did so before he could be impeached as a result of the Watergate fallout.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Just watched the debate but can't agree that Hillary was a clear winner. I thought Trump was ahead until the personal stuff about groping women etc where he definitely lost a fair bit of ground. Overall Clinton slightly edged it for me but I doubt many Trump supporters will be moved from their position from what was said.
For what it's worth, the betting fraternity seem to have hardened their stance pushing Clinton to 2/11. Personally I'm hoping for a bit of a Trump comeback in the next couple of weeks.
Smiles

Post by Smiles »

Captain Kirk wrote:" ... I thought Trump was ahead until the personal stuff about groping women etc where he definitely lost a fair bit of ground ... "
The first 30 minutes or so was not the real Trump, it was the Trump who had been coached to be 'Presidential' by his now totally frustrated surrogates.
But, as usual, Trump has the attention span of a gnat and lost his way, couldn't remember anything more, and reverted back to the bullying misogynist good-ol'-boy, spouting lies every which way.
Happens every time. Have you not noticed that?
Cheers ... ( and just one more reason why I love living in Thailand )

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Al Smith Dinner: