UFO Poll -

i believe in...

1. Craft of unknown origin exist.
22%
2. A space craft crashed at Roswell.
13%
3. The military or other agency is in possession of one or more UFOs.
9%
4, Alien abductions have occurred.
3%
5. The Men in Black exist.
3%
6. There are aliens either dead or alive at Area 51, Area 52 or some other installation.
9%
7. Scientists are backward engineering alien technology.
13%
8. I have an open mind about any or all of these things, but highly skeptical.
16%
9. Anyone who believes any of these things is nuts.
13%

Total votes: 32

RichLB

UFO Poll -

Post by RichLB »

I thought it would be fun to conduct a poll on this issue since some of us are discussing it in another thread. Let's leave comments for that thread, though.
Rogie

Re: UFO Poll -

Post by Rogie »

Good idea to have a poll Rich.

We need a good response though.

That's because the way I see it those who are believers are more likely to exercise most of their 8 options, whereas 'fence sitters' or skeptics are only going to vote for one or two.

I know polls cannot be changed and I also know the poll-setter has every right to word the options in whatever way he chooses, but it seems a bit unfair that the option "I have an open mind about any or all of these things" then goes on to say . . ."but highly skeptical". (my italics)
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm not pleased with the way the poll is worded. First, yet again, there is no "other" option. Second, the only option available for people who don't believe these things and are not open minded to any of it is to call people who do believe them "nuts." What kind of a poll is that supposed to be? I don't believe any of these things and while my mind may be slightly open to one or two of the choices, if I select the "open minded" option, that makes it appear I'm open minded towards all of them. I'm not. Also, Jimmy Carter, for example, claims to have seen a UFO. I don't believe it, but I think Jimmy Carter is the greatest former President the United States has ever had and the last thing I would ever call him is "nuts."

I don't see a single category I can vote for.

I don't think this poll could possibly have been more poorly worded.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

Gaybutton wrote:I'm not pleased with the way the poll is worded . . . the only option available for people who don't believe these things and are not open minded to any of it is to call people who do believe them "nuts."
GB, you have a very valid point. I would almost have to say that because of this, perhaps the poll is just a little bit biased. If that's the case, then the poll is invalid and the results totally useless.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Ok, guys, point made. GB, how about deleting this post and can I ask you to contruct another with all the options available. I'm not trying to make any point, but merely curious about how wide spread (or narrowly spread) beief in such things are.
Bob

Post by Bob »

How about adding a category similar to this:
There certainly are both credible and incredible reports of phenomena we as yet don't understand; however, there's no rational basis as yet to suggest there are any "aliens" visiting us.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Bob wrote:How about adding a category similar to this:
There certainly are both credible and incredible reports of phenomena we as yet don't understand; however, there's no rational basis as yet to suggest there are any "aliens" visiting us.
If you eliminate the term "rational" I would accept that in place of my "Open minded" option. I don't want to use the poll as fodder for our debate, I am really just curious about how wide spread these beliefs might be.
Bob

Post by Bob »

RichLB wrote:If you eliminate the term "rational" I would accept that in place of my "Open minded" option. I don't want to use the poll as fodder for our debate, I am really just curious about how wide spread these beliefs might be.
As Emily Latella used to say: "Never mind!" On second thought, please just ignore my suggested language entirely. I really don't care one way or the other if there is a poll or how it would be phrased. And I guess I should have known better than to use such a controversial word ("rational") in this neck of the woods.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

RichLB wrote:GB, how about deleting this post and can I ask you to construct another with all the options available.
No thanks. I have other things to do besides write your poll for you. It's your poll, which makes it your responsibility to write it properly, not mine. If you create another one yourself and post it, then I'll be glad to eliminate this one along with this thread.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Then I'll leave it as it is. I don't agree it is biased and it will provide the input I seek as it stands. And, since Bob doesn't care, there's no reason to change it.