Liberace Museum Closing in Las Vegas

fountainhall

Re: Liberace Museum Closing in Las Vegas

Post by fountainhall »

travelerjim wrote:Now I do wish I had taken my bf to view it when we were in Las Vegas last year
The sad fact is that very few visitors really knew of its existence. Either someone had told you about it, as in my case, or you delved right into the depths of those endless 'what's on' booklets they dish out - the ones I usually threw into the trash. The free shuttle from my hotel stopped at 5 other hotels. All of 6 people took it. The volunteer lady at the ticket desk then took an age to process each one. The dear proudly told us she was 85 had had seen Liberace a zillion times. But she couldn't get the change right! Sad.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I have always admired Liberace and other gay artists. There should certainly be a very long list of them if I really sat down to think about the history of mankind. I do think gay people are especially gifted when it comes to creativity. Another favorite of mine is Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky. I think there are some gay people who have more talent in their little fingers than most straight people have in their whole bodies. Yes, you may quote me. And yes, I am prejudiced.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

One thing I always admired about Liberace was his attitude. One of my favorite all-time quotes came from Liberace. Many years ago, long before he became flamboyant and was still performing wearing a tuxedo, with the candelabra on his piano, he was being interviewed by a reporter who asked, in the days when even hinting at homosexuality was still nearly taboo, "How does it make you feel to realize the entire world is aware of your homosexuality?"

Without skipping a beat, Liberace responded with, "I cry about it . . . all the way to the bank."
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

thaiworthy wrote:Another favorite of mine is Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky
I think the grief-stricken last movement of his Sixth symphony (called the Pathetique) sums up his life better than any number of words. Its soaring sense of exquisite passion, always cut short and never to be experienced, makes one realise how tortured his life must have been.

It has often been said that Chopin was gay, although the grounds for suggesting this are far from rock solid. I like another Oscar Wilde quote from 1891 -

"After playing Chopin, I feel as if I had been weeping over sins that I had never committed, and mourning over tragedies that were not my own."