What happened to North Korea?

fountainhall
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 79 times
Been liked: 238 times

#101 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby fountainhall » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:44 am

Joachim wrote:There is no peace treaty between North and South Korea. There is a temporal truce and technically the sides are in the state of war. You pretend to be an expert but it seems not familiar with basic facts.

If you believe I have visited Korea so many times and not been aware that South Korea was not a party to the armistice agreement, you are sadly mistaken. In the early 1980s, with strict curfews in place - as I already stated - it was hard to avoid being aware of that very fact when you could be shot on the streets after midnight. It has also been repeated a vast number of times in endless media articles since the end of hostilities.

I suppose you realise that the US also does not have a peace treaty with North Korea. Or perhaps you don't? The 1953 armistice agreement was signed by the United Nations, not by the USA. That armistice was always intended to be a temporary measure, a ceasefire before a final treaty could be signed. It was between armed forces. The only governments to sign the armistice were North Korea and China - although the UN hoped all parties would abide by the armistice provisions. Accordingly the United States as a party to the conflict still remains technically in a state of war with North Korea.

The armistice had three objectives -

1. the suspension of open hostilities;
2. the exchange of prisoners of war;
3. the redrawing of the line between North and South and the establishment of the DMZ.

I note you have not answered my question. You came to a rather radical conclusion based it seems on a plane change at incheon Airport. Perhaps I was wrong. Even so, can you now kindly inform readers how many times you have visited Seoul over the years and how many nights you have spent in the city in order to come to your judgement?

firecat69
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 am
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

#102 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby firecat69 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:44 pm

Some people are not interested in facts but rather their own facts from Fox and Friends or some other idiots!

fountainhall
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 79 times
Been liked: 238 times

#103 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby fountainhall » Sun Aug 27, 2017 11:03 am

I note you have still not answered my question and so I ask again.

fountainhall wrote:You came to a rather radical conclusion based it seems on a plane change at incheon Airport. Perhaps I was wrong. Even so, can you now kindly inform readers how many times you have visited Seoul over the years and how many nights you have spent in the city in order to come to your judgement?

You'll recall your point was this -

Joachim wrote:I just flew through Seoul. There are absolutely no signs of "imminent war". Stop bullshitting!

firecat69
Posts: 651
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:29 am
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 11 times

#104 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby firecat69 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:38 pm

Waste of time arguing with someone who thinks he knows something about a city and a country because he changed planes in Incheon. But that is the kind of reasoning from someone who supports TRUMP.

fountainhall
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 79 times
Been liked: 238 times

#105 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby fountainhall » Wed Aug 30, 2017 11:08 am

I never thought I'd agree with Steve Bannon, but in the interview in The American Prospect that likely got him fired, he makes a pointed statement.

“There’s no military solution [to North Korea’s nuclear threats], forget it. Until somebody solves the part of the equation that shows me that ten million people in Seoul don’t die in the first 30 minutes from conventional weapons, I don’t know what you’re talking about, there’s no military solution here, they got us.”

Joachim

#106 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby Joachim » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:48 pm

fountainhall wrote:
Joachim wrote:There is no peace treaty between North and South Korea. There is a temporal truce and technically the sides are in the state of war. You pretend to be an expert but it seems not familiar with basic facts.

If you believe I have visited Korea so many times and not been aware that South Korea was not a party to the armistice agreement, you are sadly mistaken. In the early 1980s, with strict curfews in place - as I already stated - it was hard to avoid being aware of that very fact when you could be shot on the streets after midnight. It has also been repeated a vast number of times in endless media articles since the end of hostilities.

I suppose you realise that the US also does not have a peace treaty with North Korea. Or perhaps you don't? The 1953 armistice agreement was signed by the United Nations, not by the USA. That armistice was always intended to be a temporary measure, a ceasefire before a final treaty could be signed. It was between armed forces. The only governments to sign the armistice were North Korea and China - although the UN hoped all parties would abide by the armistice provisions. Accordingly the United States as a party to the conflict still remains technically in a state of war with North Korea.

The armistice had three objectives -

1. the suspension of open hostilities;
2. the exchange of prisoners of war;
3. the redrawing of the line between North and South and the establishment of the DMZ.

I note you have not answered my question. You came to a rather radical conclusion based it seems on a plane change at incheon Airport. Perhaps I was wrong. Even so, can you now kindly inform readers how many times you have visited Seoul over the years and how many nights you have spent in the city in order to come to your judgement?


The Korean Armistice Agreement is the armistice which serves to ensure a complete cessation of hostilities of the Korean War. It was signed by U.S. Army Lieutenant General William Harrison, Jr. representing the United Nations Command (UNC), North Korean General Nam Il representing the Korean People's Army (KPA), and the Chinese People’s Volunteer Army (PVA).[1] The armistice was signed on July 27, 1953, and was designed to "insure a complete cessation of hostilities and of all acts of armed force in Korea until a final peaceful settlement is achieved."[2] No "final peaceful settlement" has been achieved. The signed armistice established the Korean Demilitarized Zone (de facto a new border between the two nations), put into force a cease-fire, and finalized repatriation of prisoners of war. The Demilitarized Zone runs not far from the 38th parallel, which separated North and South Korea before the Korean War.
This is from Wikipidea. You claimed that there is a piece treaty between North and South Korea. It is false. There is a truce between the sides of the conflict. Your posts remind me the new slogan I saw on T-shirts in Pattaya:
I do not need google. My wife knows everything.
You seem to know everything in reality is an expert on nothing. The very fact that you spent time with local prostitutes in Seoul does not make you an expert on Korea, as well as visiting saunas in Singapore does not make you an expert on that country. Equally your posts on US are flatly ridiculuous.
I lived for years in places like Singapore, HK, Japan and Korea. I know the region quite well. I flew through Seoul on August 15, the day where Kim was presumed to attack Guam. There was absolutely no indication that the war was imminent just on that day. Thus, stop bullshitting. There will be no war. And I am not going to discuss anything with the troll like you anymore. No matter how many times you post your bullshit.

fountainhall
Posts: 765
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:45 am
Location: Bangkok
Liked: 79 times
Been liked: 238 times

#107 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby fountainhall » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:22 pm

Joachim wrote:You claimed that there is a piece treaty between North and South Korea. It is false.

That is absolutely totally untrue. I have never in this or any other thread on any Board claimed there is any form a peace treaty between North and South Korea. Since this is not true yet you say it is true, please provide the evidence.

Joachim wrote:The very fact that you spent time with local prostitutes in Seoul does not make you an expert on Korea

Where did this come from? As above, I have never stated in this thread anything to do with prostitutes in Korea - and that includes money boys. I have never been with a prostitute or money boy in Korea. Ever! Please provide evidence.

Joachim wrote:Equally your posts on US are flatly ridiculuous.

Your opinion! Certainly not mine and that of many others!

Joachim wrote:I lived for years in places like Singapore, HK, Japan and Korea. I know the region quite well. I flew through Seoul on August 15, the day where Kim was presumed to attack Guam. There was absolutely no indication that the war was imminent just on that day. Thus, stop bullshitting.

Of course there was no indication of war on that day. There has hardly ever been any indication of impending war anywhere in South Korea - at any time in the last few decades! Please provide examples of when you HAVE witnessed in the South any indication of preparation for war.[/quote]

Joachim wrote:And I am not going to discuss anything with the troll like you anymore. No matter how many times you post your bullshit.

I can''t help laughing! As GB and other posters on this and other forums that I have posted well know, I am no troll. I have met members of this and another Board. But as I say, I can't stop laughing! Anyway I await your evidence.

User avatar
Gaybutton
Site Admin
Posts: 13739
Joined: Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am
Location: Thailand
Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 424 times

#108 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby Gaybutton » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:35 pm

Joachim wrote: And I am not going to discuss anything with the troll like you anymore. No matter how many times you post your bullshit.

I'll tell you a better one than that. You're not going to discuss anything at all on this board anymore. I warned you about personal attacks. You persisted anyway.

You're gone.

Dodger
Posts: 594
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:58 am
Liked: 8 times
Been liked: 90 times

#109 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby Dodger » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:03 pm

I think this last round of U.N. sanctions will definitely help over time.

Even though China and Russia didn't agree to the whole package the sanctions they did agree to will almost certainly drain Kim's personal piggy bank over the next few years. No more money - no more missile production. He'll be left with a stockpile of missiles which he can't launch at anybody without facing annihilation, and at the same time been put in a position where he is completely isolated from the rest of the modern world. Maybe this will cause his generals to think twice about how they want to handle the future. At least that's the way I hope things will go.

a447
Posts: 397
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:56 pm
Liked: 7 times
Been liked: 69 times

#110 Re: What happened to North Korea?

Postby a447 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:53 pm

I can't see any conflict happening, as now both "leaders" are just posturing and fighting for position.

Kim has already caved in to the U.S. He was going to fire missiles towards Guam, but he quickly backed down when he was told by the Americans that if they saw missiles heading towards Guam they would not wait to see if they landed in the ocean. It would be game on and Pyongyang would be wiped off the map.

So I've just booked a Christmas /New Year holiday in southern Japan. To be honest I'm more worried about earthquakes and volcanic eruptions than a war breaking out in Korea.

In a few years time America will have perfected the technique of shooting down all types of missiles. We may have to bide our time. When that happens any threats from Kim will be neutralised - and so will Kim himself be.


Return to “Everything Else”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Brooklyn Bridge and 18 guests