What happened to North Korea?

Gaybutton

Re: What happened to North Korea?

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:It enhances his bargaining power.
With whom? I haven't seen him trying to bargain with anyone, other than perhaps Dennis Rodman's travel agent . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

With whichever country it enters into negotiations! The present rise in tension is purely because the North has made it clear it is going to develop its weapons programme come hell or whatever - for the time being. All earlier negotiations failed, but then its nuclear and missile programme was less advanced. The closer it gets to nuclear warhead delivery capability, the better its negotiating position.

The North has never trusted the USA - and with some reason. The USA unilaterally broke Section 13(e) of the 1953 Armistice Agreement. This clearly states that no party will introduce any new weapons into the Korean Peninsula thereafter. Yet in 1958 Eisenhower introduced nuclear weapons into the South. They remained there till 1991 when George H W Bush finally had them removed. Little wonder the North was desperate to start its own nuclear programme.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:With whichever country it enters into negotiations!
I don't see North Korea showing the slightest interest in negotiating with anybody.

Once again - North Korea understands only one word - force. Even China is condemning North Korea's actions. Meanwhile, North Korea couldn't care less and other than a few words, China still does nothing. I wish I knew why. Nuclear fallout can rain down on China too. It wouldn't even necessarily take an attack. An accident could do it.

Well, maybe the Ebola virus will strike North Korea's leadership.
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

Only dopes like Trump think China is going to do anything about this problem. They will not. It is not in their interest to destabilize N Korea .

The last thing they want is a unified Korean Peninsula . They want to be dominant in the Asia Pacific and a unified Peninsula would end any chance of that. China has resisted the US for years in doing anything about N Korea.

At any rate the former Governor of Iowa (Branstad), sent to be Ambassador of China, has no real experience for the role. He is very familiar with getting China to accept agricultural products from Iowa and in that role has a personal relationship with Xi . He has so far proved useless in moving China on N Korea . But it is probably an impossible role. At some point Trump will be stupid enough to start a trade war with China which he will also lose.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

No need to worry about North Korea anymore. Trump has it all well in hand.

Reassuring to know the problem is being 'handled' by an outpatient . . .

Trump on North Korea: 'We handle everything'

by Dan Mercia, CNN

July 31, 2017

Washington (CNN) - President Donald Trump told reporters at his second full Cabinet meeting as president that his administration will be able to take care of North Korea but offered no specifics about what he plans to do.

"We will handle North Korea. We are gonna be able to handle them. It will be handled. We handle everything," Trump said after a reporter asked him about his strategy.

Full story: http://us.cnn.com/2017/07/31/politics/t ... index.html

Sorry folks, but you'll have to click on the link to read the full story yourselves. I couldn't read it any further than I posted. I just couldn't 'handle' the bullshit any longer . . .

Anyone besides me waiting for the comeback of fallout shelters . . . ?
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

There are new signs that diplomacy and sanctions are not only failing to deter Pyongyang from building up its nuclear arsenal, but there is growing evidence the country’s economy is actually improving.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2017/07/31 ... tions.html

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... 5704546335

Hmmmm...

Tj
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Another Trump success!
travelerjim

Post by travelerjim »

Or an Obama legacy...

Tj
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

travelerjim wrote:Or an Obama legacy...
A comment that should bear a degree of approbation that would not find favour with the Board owner, I'm sure.

Much better to direct your ire at Republican President Eisenhower. After all, as I pointed out above, he is the one who unilaterally broke the Armistice Agreement by introducing nuclear weapons into the Korean Peninsula. Do you agree that Peace Treaties are there to be broken? If ever there was an encouragement to the North to decide to start their own nuclear programme, that was it. It was to be 33 years before Bush 1 took them away. Then it was Bush 2 who called North Korea and Iraq part of an axis of evil. Kims 2 and 3 clearly saw what happened to Iraq. Three Republican Presidents are responsible for the North's pursuit of nuclear weapons - and now a fourth hasn't a clue how to tackle the issue.
Joachim

Post by Joachim »

firecat69 wrote:Only dopes like Trump think China is going to do anything about this problem.
With all due respect , it is a total bullshit. South Korea has mid range ballistic missiles of excellent precision. On the other hand, many people in South Korea believe that presence of US forces jeopardize them. Americans should propose to total withdrawal of their forces from South Korea and simultaneously put nuclear war heads on South Korean missiles as a natural deterrent. That would mean that nuclear weapons should be also given to Japan (cause Japan will never agree to have nuclear South Korea without having their own nuclear weapon). Then you will see how China and Russia start jumping up and down under perspective of having nuclear South Korea and Japan. On the other hand, North Korea will have no pretext to attack US.