Australia costs are outrageous!

lvdkeyes

Re: Australia costs are outrageous!

Post by lvdkeyes »

We were there in December and I, also, was shocked at the prices of everything. For example, the cheapest 500ml bottle of water we could find anywhere was $2.50. Donuts were $2.50 each. I can't remember other prices. I won't be returning to OZ.
tim_kent

Post by tim_kent »

lvdkeyes wrote:We were there in December and I, also, was shocked at the prices of everything. For example, the cheapest 500ml bottle of water we could find anywhere was $2.50. Donuts were $2.50 each. I can't remember other prices. I won't be returning to OZ.
I have had 2 visits to the US from Australia in 12 months and I have the exact opposite feelings
We do have fluctuations of the $USv $AUS but I think it comes down to exchange rates. I know I changed currency in Times Square and the commission was outrageous. Food and drink especially.

To me the flat 10% we add to all purchases is easier to understand than the seperate taxes levied in the US. But if you think Australia is expensive try the UK. Each visit to the UK seems to be more expensive but as I go mainly to catch up with shows in the West End, I have to accept it.
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

I disagree with you .
Did you come to Sydney or go to another City?
You should of pm ed me i would have gladly shown you around.

Many things I can get cheaper here in Sydney City than in Pattaya.
Carrots,bananas etc cheaper here than in Pattaya.
Tins of tuna cheaper here than in Pattaya.
Thai takeawy food from $5.00 many places.

You wouldnt be paying 2.50 for water if you had walked over to the Supermarket instead of a 711
If you are going to buy in tourist such as Circular Quay then obviously they will charge more for a donut.
You could of walked 2 blocks to the supermarket,10 donuts today 1.99 !
Not sure why you left early,there are many nice budget rooms here.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

We were in Melbourne and drove up the coast to Sydney where we stayed with friends. The $2.50 bottles of water were everywhere, vending machines and when buying food. I would hardly go to a supermarket to buy water to take to a restaurant, even a fast food place.