Iranian widow facing death by stoning receives 99 lashes

Gaybutton

Iranian widow facing death by stoning receives 99 lashes

Post by Gaybutton »

Iranian widow facing death by stoning receives 99 lashes, lawyer says

Woman said to have been punished for indecency after newspaper picture mix-up

AP
By FRANCES D'EMILIO

Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, a widow facing the death penalty for alleged adultery, is said to have been lashed for indecency.

VATICAN CITY — An Iranian widow sentenced to death by stoning for alleged adultery has reportedly been lashed 99 times after what was said to be a picture of her without a headscarf appeared in a newspaper.

The New York Times reported that Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani, 43, had received the punishment in the prison where she is being held, citing her lawyer Javid Kian. However it added that another lawyer disputed the account.

The news came shortly after the Vatican said it was considering using behind-the-scenes diplomacy to try to spare her life, describing stoning as a particularly "brutal" form of capital punishment.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/39022965/ns ... tn_africa/
YardenUK

Re: Iranian widow facing death by stoning receives 99 lashes

Post by YardenUK »

is this multi layered justice? she gets a good lashing as an entrée to death by rocks?

nothing like a theocracy for justice
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

And what happened to man she had sex with?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:And what happened to man she had sex with?
As far as I know, absolutely nothing happened to him. After all, he's a man. Anyone care to move to a country with laws like this? Include me out.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I am with you. They treat gays the same as they do women.
xiandarkthorne

Post by xiandarkthorne »

I am gay and if I lived in a place like that, I'd consider a quick death preferable, too.

The worst thing about the woman's fate is that the women there contribute as much to their own suffering. Try asking a hundred women there if their sexist theocratic laws are fair, and I should be most surprised if even one actually said that there might be some room for change. And it wouldn't be out of fear of their evil regime, either, that they'll insist their laws are just. Thankfully, their laws are just for them.
I'm too old to be an enfant terrible so I'll just have to settle for being an irrrrrrrascible old fart! My Blog is here http://xiandarkthorne.blogspot.com/
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

xiandarkthorne wrote:Thankfully, their laws are just for them.
If they're happy, I'm happy for them. Just don't try to impose it on me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Report: Iranian Authorities Give Go-ahead to Execute Woman

From Mitra Mobasherat, CNN
November 2, 2010

(CNN) -- Authorities in Tehran, Iran, have given the go-ahead to execute a woman who initially was sentenced to death by stoning, according to an activist working on her behalf.

However, what method will be used to execute Sakineh Mohammadi Ashtiani is unclear, said Mina Ahadi, spokeswoman for the International Committee Against Stoning. The execution could happen as soon as Wednesday, she said, citing information received from a source in Tabriz, Iran, who is close to Ashtiani's family.

Ashtiani initially was sentenced to death by stoning for adultery. The Iranian government later said she was also convicted of murdering her husband, but her lawyer and family dispute that.

A letter from Tehran was delivered to the prison in Tabriz where Ashtiani is being held three days ago, Ahadi said, giving the go-ahead for Ashtiani's execution.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/meast ... google_cnn