Funny Blog Stuff

Gaybutton

Re: Funny Blog Stuff

Post by Gaybutton »

I took a look at that blog. I'll say one thing for the person who created it - he has plenty of put-downs for everyone and seems to very much enjoy saying so. Bully for him. Meanwhile he forgot to bestow that "turtle ass" award of his upon the most deserving of all. That would be his own blog.

I suppose some will be delighted to read a blog like that, but I have to wonder about a person who obviously put in a great deal of time and work to create a blog that essentially does nothing but put down other people. Gee, what fun. Forgive me for spending the next few moments yawning.
Bob

Post by Bob »

In spite of his obvious way with words, the intentional viciousness seems rather telling about the author himself. There's a way to be critical without being vicious but this guy either doesn't have a clue in that department or somehow (the "why" of this is the most interesting aspect to me) delights in putting down others.

I've never understood what motivates somebody to blog or keep a public diary in the first place and I often wonder why some people feel that some segment of the world can't wait to hear what they have to say or think about this or that; regardless, most of the bloggosphere (if that's what you call it) seems harmless enough and in many cases is interesting and even helpful. But some bloggers use the anonymous nature of the internet to say things they'd never have the guts to say to people in person and it's that portion of the internet that disturbs me at times. Normal human interaction tends to moderate extreme, vicious, or socially-unacceptable behavior and speech but there's no human interaction (or behavior modification) present when some mousy wacko sitting alone in his home rants about this or that on the net; to the contrary, it seems that all it does is attract the other small percentage of strange people that think the same way and tends to reinforce the bad social manners exhibited in the first place. The nasty or vicious comments - versus legitimate criticism expressed in an adult manner - seem at times to be almost a form of revenge by someone thinking like a pissed-off young teen.

Bao bao's blog is what it is and it's difficult for me to see how anybody could be anything but entertained (and even enlightened at times) by it. Why a reading of the this blog would cause anybody to viciously rant about the blog (or the person) is beyond me; however, this small-minded blogger obviously felt the need and the real question for me is why he felt that need (and delight) in the first place. Strange world.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Bob wrote:I've never understood what motivates somebody to blog or keep a public diary in the first place and I often wonder why some people feel that some segment of the world can't wait to hear what they have to say or think about this
The quote above in my opinion is the basis for what the writer had written about someone else's blog. I found nothing vicious, what I read was witty and having followed said blog for a while found it mired in some truthfully funny stuff.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gossip and its ally, scandal, have been the stuff of parlours and living rooms for centuries. As William Hazlitt said in 1823 -
To create an unfavourable impression, it is not necessary that certain things should be true, but that they have been said.
The anonymity of the internet has only drawn more into this web, for it permits all manner of people - from the weird and wacko to the intelligent and polite - to get their rocks off slagging others with no fear of personal retaliation. It's as though vast numbers have suddenly become actors, living in a near-fantasy world peopled by characters they might wish to be, but aren't, no doubt because they just don't have the guts. I suspect that in time the world will have a new medical condition - internet schizophrenia.

Such souls would be better off keeping in mind the advice of people like Einstein -
If A equals success, then the formula is A equals X plus Y and Z, with X being work, Y play, and Z keeping your mouth shut.
- and Mark Twain
He gossips habitually; he lacks the common wisdom to keep still that deadly enemy of man, his own tongue
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

One that has a blog wants it to be in the public lite, so here another applicable quote, "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the fire".
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote:One that has a blog wants it to be in the public lite, so here another applicable quote, "If you can't stand the heat stay out of the fire".
Not sure I quite get that! If someone blogs, then presumably he's perfectly happy with the 'heat'. But there really is no 'heat'. If a blogger gets any criticism, he fires back an angry salvo, some sarcastic comment, some cynical often unrelated remark - and switches off. He always has the last word. So he's always right! Civilised conversation it is not!
Bob

Post by Bob »

fountainhall wrote: But there really is no 'heat'. If a blogger gets any criticism, he fires back an angry salvo, some sarcastic comment, some cynical often unrelated remark - and switches off. He always has the last word. So he's always right! Civilised conversation it is not!
Exactly, the normal human reactions ("you're nuts", a frown, a smile, a punch in the nose, or whatever) are totally absent to restrain bad behavior. Another reason that I sometimes use the word cowardice to describe a person's aggressive behavior online compared to what he dares to do in person.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Bob wrote:I sometimes use the word cowardice to describe a person's aggressive behavior online compared to what he dares to do in person.
I guess first you'd need to know what he'd do in person. :D
bao-bao

Post by bao-bao »

While commenting on the new blog at all may not be the wisest thing to do I thought I'd address it here once, and then let it go.

As I posted on SGT: naturally I can't disprove what he says about me personally any more than anyone can prove who they truly are in an online arena, but the people who know me know he's wrong, and that's really all that matters, isn't it?

It's the old hit-and-run tactic in journalism: he pointed out portions of things he wanted to propose as truths from some posts and ignored others - all part of a style that I neither admire or have much respect for, myself. Just my opinion.

His blog DOES have some interesting pieces on it, and whoever's writing it certainly puts a lot of time into it to be posting over 50 longer pieces a month. The Hunter S. Thompson style they admittedly adore can be entertaining - I remember the effect it had on my writing style for a short while when I first read "Fear and Loathing" in Rolling Stone back in November of 1971. I followed HST's books with a passion until I grew out of them, but they're still fun.

What isn't so entertaining are the nasty comments the blogger makes that are just this side of libelous, possibly posted in an attempt at humor, who knows? Undaunted evidently thought it was funny as that's how he titled the thread with only a link to the unkind comments about me, but he's entitled to his opinion, too.

I left a comment on the post about my blog thanking him for the mention, and I wish him luck.