Movie Quote Trivia

Gaybutton

Movie Quote Trivia

Post by Gaybutton »

I think by now, many here have figured out that I happen to know a hell of a lot of movie quotes. So, let's see how you would do with some of these. And no cheating! You either know them or you don't. If you're any kind of movie buff you'll probably get at least a few of these - some easy, some difficult:

Name the movie (double points if you can also name the actor who said it):

1. I like both snails and oysters.

2. I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

3. I've got the motive which is money and the body which is dead!

4. I'm not leaving you, Mr. Christian. Not ever. Go to the dirtiest little corner of the world - I'll be there, right behind you with a rope in my hand.

5. What we've got here is failure to communicate.

6. Your German is good and I hear also your French. Your arms . . . UP!

7. I'll be back.

8. What a dump.

9. I'll get you, my pretty. And your little dog too.

10. Made it, Ma! Top of the world!

11. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.

12. Did you think that kiss was to show you what you will have? No, my pompous one. It was to show you what you will not have.

13. All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up.

14. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

15. You're gonna need a bigger boat.

16. Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make.

17. How would you like to feel the way she looks?

18. I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

19. Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me.

20. You were standing on your toilet, and you were hanging a clock, and you fell, and you hit your head on the sink. And that's when you came up with the idea for the Flux Capacitor.
Bob

Re: Movie Quote Trivia

Post by Bob »

Some real toughies there although about half are fairly obvious.

Question: For #8, you want two answers (or the first lady/character that said it or the second lady/character that said it)?

Also...hope you like this one.....for #5, you want the answer to "What we've got here is failure to communicate" or the answer to "What we've got here is a failure to communicate"?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote: Question: For #8, you want two answers (or the first lady/character that said it or the second lady/character that said it)?

Also...hope you like this one.....for #5, you want the answer to "What we've got here is failure to communicate" or the answer to "What we've got here is a failure to communicate"?
I don't understand why you're singling out #8. If you can, name the movie and also name the performer for all of them. If you can't, then do the best you can. If you want to also name the character, please do. I didn't include that because you would have to be a real movie buff to name the characters too. No "engraved in stone" rules for this (except the no cheating rule). It's just for fun.

For #5, the way I wrote it is the correct quote - failure to communicate, not a failure to communicate.

Now that we have that out of the way, can you answer any of them? Remember, no cheating . . .
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

Gaybutton wrote:
Bob wrote: Question: For #8, you want two answers
I don't understand why you're singling out #8.
because while it was first said by Bette Davis in 'Beyond The Forest' it is also a popular quote line by Elizabeth Taylor in 'Who's Afraid Of Virginia Woolf' referring back to the original movie

as for the rest, I can only do the easy ones!

2. I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse.

The Godfather

4. I'm not leaving you, Mr. Christian. Not ever. Go to the dirtiest little corner of the world - I'll be there, right behind you with a rope in my hand.

Mutiny on the Bounty

7. I'll be back.

Terminator - Stallone

9. I'll get you, my pretty. And your little dog too.

Wizard of Oz - Wicked Witch of the West (or was it East?)

11. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow.

The Big Sleep? Key Largo? anyway Lauren Bacall to Humphrey Bogart

14. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.

Gone with the Wind - Rhet Butler - Clark Gable

18. I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!

Network - the news announcer then everyone in the film!

19. Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me.

The Graduate - Ben - Dustan Hoffman (but "Plastics" is the more classic quote!)

20. You were standing on your toilet, and you were hanging a clock, and you fell, and you hit your head on the sink. And that's when you came up with the idea for the Flux Capacitor.[/quote]

Back to the Future - Marty McFly - Michael J Fox

ken
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gaybutton wrote:
Bob wrote: I don't understand why you're singling out #8. If you can, name the movie and also name the performer for all of them. If you can't, then do the best you can. If you want to also name the character, please do. I didn't include that because you would have to be a real movie buff to name the characters too. No "engraved in stone" rules for this (except the no cheating rule). It's just for fun.

For #5, the way I wrote it is the correct quote - failure to communicate, not a failure to communicate.
I asked the question about #8 because, as ken has pointed out above, it was said by two famous actresses in two movies [although Elizabeth Taylor as Martha in Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf (perhaps my most favorite movie for acting) was saying that line only because Bette Davis had already made it famous].

Other than that, given you're staying with the original line in #5, it was said by Struther(spelling?) Martin as the prison boss in Cool Hand Luke. Heard this one in a trivia contest somewhere.

I'll let others take guesses on the rest but will add to Ken's answers:

2. Marlon Brando as Don Corleone

4. Trevor Howard (I think) as Capt. Bligh (spelling?).

7. Nope, was Arnold Swarzenegger (spelling?) as the Terminator himself. If Stallone would have said it, it probably would have come out mumbled (although, come to think of it, Arnold's diction ain't all that great either).

9. Margaret Hamilton as the wicked witch of some direction (east/west, I forget).

18. Peter Finch was the guy but don't know his character name.

Besides what Ken's answered, I think i know only a couple of the others. Some of these are impossible.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I see. For "What a dump," along with all others, I meant the movie in which it was originally said.

Ok, here are the answers:

1. I like both snails and oysters. - Spartacus, Laurence Olivier (Crassus) - As an aside, that scene was originally spoken by Olivier. However, that scene was cut for theater releases because in those days it was considered too provocative. The scene was later reinstated for video releases, but the sound was lost. Tony Curtis re-dubbed his lines, but Olivier had already died. Anthony Hopkins spoke the lines for Olivier.

2. I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse. - The Godfather - spoken by both Marlon Brando and Al Pacino, with a slight variation (Vito and Michael Corleone)

3. I've got the motive which is money and the body which is dead! - In the Heat of the Night, Rod Steiger (Gillespie)

4. I'm not leaving you, Mr. Christian. Not ever. Go to the dirtiest little corner of the world - I'll be there, right behind you with a rope in my hand. - Mutiny on the Bounty (1962 re-make), Trevor Howard (Captain Bligh)

5. What we've got here is failure to communicate. - Cool Hand Luke, Strother Martin (Captain)

6. Your German is good and I hear also your French. Your arms . . . UP! - The Great Escape, Karl-Otto Alberty (SS Officer Steinach)

7. I'll be back. - The Terminator, Arnold Schwartzenneger - Sorry, but Stallone wasn't even in the movie

8. What a dump. - Beyond the Forest, Bette Davis (Rosa Moline)

9. I'll get you, my pretty. And your little dog too. - The Wizard of Oz, Margaret Hamilton (Wicked Witch of the West)

10. Made it, Ma! Top of the world! - White Heat, James Cagney (Cody Jarrett)

11. You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and blow. - To Have and Have Not, Lauren Bacall ('Slim' Browning)

12. Did you think that kiss was to show you what you will have? No, my pompous one. It was to show you what you will not have. - The Ten Commandments, Anne Baxter (Nefretiri)

13. All right, Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my close-up. - Sunset Blvd, Gloria Swanson (Norma Desmond)

14. Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn. - Gone With the Wind, Clark Gable (Rhett Butler)

15. You're gonna need a bigger boat. - Jaws, Roy Scheider (Chief Martin Brody)

16. Listen to them. Children of the night. What music they make. - Dracula, Bela Lugosi

17. How would you like to feel the way she looks? - A Night at the Opera, Groucho Marx (Otis B. Driftwood) - In my opinion, the funniest movie ever made.

18. I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore! - Network, Peter Finch (Howard Beale)

19. Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me. - The Graduate, Dustin Hoffman (Ben Braddock)

20. You were standing on your toilet, and you were hanging a clock, and you fell, and you hit your head on the sink. And that's when you came up with the idea for the Flux Capacitor. - Back to the Future, Michael J. Fox (Marty McFly)
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

I only knew 5 and only two actors. GB you should NEVER talk to "Mr. Clean" in my bar. He is like you in this reguard and the conversation could take weeks!
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Bottom of the class. Only got 4 movies and 3 of the actors! I didn't know the quote from Network, but thought Peter Finch was amazing in that movie.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: but thought Peter Finch was amazing in that movie.
So did a great many people. He won the Oscar for it. Unfortunately he died before the awards and received it posthumously.
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

Gaybutton wrote: He won the Oscar for it. Unfortunately he died before the awards and received it posthumously.
he was given it posthumously, receipt of little gold statues in the afterlife is still not verified!

ken