3 D Movies

lvdkeyes

3 D Movies

Post by lvdkeyes »

What do you think about so many 3 D movies coming out now?
thaiworthy

Re: 3 D Movies

Post by thaiworthy »

I will always make an effort to see the 3d version of any film over the same non-3d version. The industry is doing everything it can to lure the box office buck. Technology has always been a star player ever since the introduction of cinemascope. The competition coming from tv and the internet is formidable. They can, and will succeed with this endeavor. Historically, movies have always been a draw, especially in hard, economic times.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

thaiworthy is correct. The industry is spending billions to develop more user friendly 3D movies and TV. The first 3D TV sets have been out for a while, and sets that do not require glasses will be rolled out by most companies during 2011. Additionally, several companies are working on the re-filming of major spectaculars and Broadway shows in 3D. 'Lord of the Dance' in 3D will be launched throughout the USA and Europe on St. Patrick's Day in March.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118028650
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Personally, I don't find 3 D that exciting. I originally saw Avatar is regular format. Several people told me "you must see it in 3 D". I did and didn't find it all that sensational. My bf doesn't like them at all because he has a problem eye and cannot see the 3 D effect. I have another friend who says the same.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I don't go to see movies simply because they are in 3-D. Also, I am not impressed by the 3-D. At Disney World, they have 3-D movies that look as if things are coming right out of the screen and into your face. I've seen people reaching out to try to touch the objects.

On the other hand, the 3-D movies that play in the movie theaters are not nearly as good. Yes, they are 3-D, but with rare exceptions, the 3-D starts at the screen and goes inward instead of coming out, similar to the old View Master type of 3-D. They need to improve on that.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:They need to improve on that.
They will. The advances in 3D technology will make what we have seen so far seem like the old black-and-white TVs
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote:At Disney World, they have 3-D movies that look as if things are coming right out of the screen and into your face. I've seen people reaching out to try to touch the objects.
Disney World? That must have been a while ago.

For me Avatar in 3D was spectular.
patexpat

Post by patexpat »

Gaybutton wrote:I don't go to see movies simply because they are in 3-D. Also, I am not impressed by the 3-D. At Disney World, they have 3-D movies that look as if things are coming right out of the screen and into your face. I've seen people reaching out to try to touch the objects.

On the other hand, the 3-D movies that play in the movie theaters are not nearly as good. Yes, they are 3-D, but with rare exceptions, the 3-D starts at the screen and goes inward instead of coming out, similar to the old View Master type of 3-D. They need to improve on that.
This applies to many films where 3D was added in POST production, electronically as opposed to films actually filmed with 3D cameras (such as Avatar) which was stunning - so some films are trying to make a quick buck out of 3D when in fact they were never intended for 3D. Clash Of The Titans is a good example, and having seen Gulliver last night at Central, I suspect that falls in to the same catagory.....
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

[quote="windwalkerDisney World? That must have been a while ago.

For me Avatar in 3D was spectular.[/quote]
Yes, it was quite a long time ago. They had the technology then, so what happened to it? Since I was spoiled by the 3-D at Disney World, in comparison Avatar was a disappointment for me. Again, I felt as if I was looking through a View Master.