Risk of prostate cancer depends on . . . finger length???

fountainhall

Risk of prostate cancer depends on . . . finger length???

Post by fountainhall »

According to the BBC website, new research apparently shows the length of a man's fingers can provide clues to his risk of prostate cancer - specifically those whose index finger was longer than their ring finger were significantly less likely to develop the disease.
Researchers made the discovery after comparing the hands of 1,500 prostate cancer patients with 3,000 healthy men. The length of the fingers is fixed before birth and is thought to relate to sex hormone levels in the womb. Being exposed to less testosterone before birth results in a longer index finger and may protect against prostate cancer later in life, say researchers at the University of Warwick and the Institute of Cancer Research.

One of the report authors, Professor Ros Eeles, said more studies would be needed, but if these confirmed the findings it could be used a simple test for prostate cancer risk. She said: "This exciting finding means that finger pattern could potentially be used to select at-risk men for ongoing screening, perhaps in combination with other factors such as family history or genetic testing."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-11880415

Mind you, the BBC has reported other findings re finger length over the years. In October 2001, it highlighted this report -
Scientists at Liverpool University have established a link between the length of baby boys' fingers and their chances of going on to have a heart attack at an unusually young age.
And only last year, this one -
Scientists at Cambridge University found that financial traders whose ring fingers are longer than their index fingers make the most money. The link could be down to testosterone exposure in the womb, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences says
2 years earlier, it reported with yet another -
Children's academic strengths can be predicted by the relative lengths of their fingers, claim researchers. The study of 75 seven-year-old children found those with shorter ring fingers than their index fingers did better in tests at literacy than maths. Those with longer ring fingers were better at maths than literacy, said the British Journal of Psychology study. The UK team said the link was caused by children's exposure to different levels of hormones in the womb.
How come it's always the fingers? What about toe lengths, BBC? I have one toe on one foot that is longer than on the other. Please tell me: am I brilliant, or likely to succumb to some dreadful illness after Christmas?
lvdkeyes

Re: Risk of prostate cancer depends on . . . finger length??

Post by lvdkeyes »

Speaking of toes, my second toe is shorter than the big toe. Some people have told me this is unusual. I would be interested to know if my toes are freaky.
Bob

Post by Bob »

lvdkeyes wrote:Speaking of toes, my second toe is shorter than the big toe. Some people have told me this is unusual. I would be interested to know if my toes are freaky.
As does Khun Smiles - big time. And the answer to your question is, yes, you're freaky (and/or possibly an alien...).
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

A few years ago I seem to recall finger length being linked to sexuality too.

Maybe somebody should check for any link between finger length, toe length, distance betwen nose and upper lip, size of skull, etc etc and alien abduction. . .
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Perhaps there is a logical explanation? Men with a longer index finger may find it more convenient to massage their prostate for therapeutic reasons which might help to reduce the risks of cancer?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

That finger thing as an indication of cock size is a myth. I knew a guy who is 6'9" tall with hands large enough that he could hold a basketball and suspend it with one hand. His cock was about 5". I have also know guys with small hands and big cocks.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

According to the Julia Roberts character in "Notting Hill", it's the size of a man's feet that provides the clue :D
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Also a myth; the 6'9" guy wore US size shoe 15.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

MYTHS DEBUNKED: Try this one on for size. I think Michaelangelo got it right. I am not a size queen but I like the proportions here. David's fingers as well as his whole hand are just the right size. Perfection!
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

David's cock is very small. It's about 1/2 the size of his thumb.