Risk of prostate cancer depends on . . . finger length???

fountainhall

Re: Risk of prostate cancer depends on . . . finger length??

Post by fountainhall »

Methinks Michelangelo was being a tad modest. It's the same in the Sistine Chapel. Nowhere does he endow his muscled males with anything like 20th century appendages. Now if only Caravaggio had painted a few nudes. Both artists were gay, but Caravaggio was much more of a rake, and I suspect his depictions would have been considerably more 'manly'.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:Methinks Michelangelo was being a tad modest.
Maybe so, but whoever he used as a model for that statue, if I could get into a time machine guess who I'd like to meet . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

. . . Liberace???? :P
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

fountainhall wrote: Now if only Caravaggio had painted a few nudes. Both artists were gay, but Caravaggio was much more of a rake, and I suspect his depictions would have been considerably more 'manly'.
Caravaggio did paint a number of nudes, however "manly" would not be the word to describe some of them. His "models" were basically street boys.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I have been fortunate to see quite a number of Caravaggio's paintings in various galleries and churches. I only recall a couple of full make nudes - Victorious Amor and Youth with a Ram - which feature the same model, and he's certainly shown with a street-kid's knowing smile. But he's 'barely' a teenager at best. Even his St John the Baptist is portrayed as a pretty young teenager. Did he paint any "full grown" male nudes?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:I have been fortunate to see quite a number of Caravaggio's paintings in various galleries and churches.
Seems to me Caravaggio was kind of on the lucky side himself . . .
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Given some of the other threads, you are right. He might certainly have had a bit of a problem if he had surfaced in Pattaya with those extremely young models, described by one scholar, Donald Posner, as Caravaggio's "fleshy, full-lipped, langorous young boys."
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

fountainhall wrote: . Even his St John the Baptist is portrayed as a pretty young teenager. Did he paint any "full grown" male nudes?
Well, we are way off topic, but since fountainhall started the topic why not? Many St. John the Baptists are portrayed as youths for whatever reason. Caravaggio did paint manly, muscular men often scantily clothed but no true nudes that I have seen. I suppose, even for him, portraying a naked Jesus or Apostles was a no-no, but naked "angels" were another matter. :o