I hope there is a War in Korea,do you think ?

ajarn2

I hope there is a War in Korea,do you think ?

Post by ajarn2 »

With the North Koreans bombing South Korea there is likely to be a war.
It seems the Great Leaders son is taking over the North and trying to make an impact.

I have hear "theories" that war's are good for countries economies and some countrie's even together to create a war,so may be America is happy ,with its high unemployment,it may now do better by having a war started.
lvdkeyes

Re: I hope there is a War in Korea,do you think ?

Post by lvdkeyes »

What an asinine concept! The US is already in 2 wars and look at its economy.
Bob

Post by Bob »

It's unfathomable to me how anybody could hope for a war there. While I detest the North Korean regime, there's absolutely no rational basis to wish the horrid consequences of war on the civilian poplulations of either side. I'm hoping that the OP misphrased what he was trying to say.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

You are a bit behind the times, ajarn2. The 'Great Leader' was the name given to Kim Il-Sung who died 16 years ago. His son, Kim Jong-Il, the sick present leader, is termed by his people, the 'Dear Leader' (although what might be endearing about him defeats me). His youngest son, Kim Jong-Un, has recently been anointed the heir apparent. His qualifications for the job seem tentative at best, and his succession seems not to be universally popular, either within the army or his family. So there is unquestionably some serious jockeying for position going on.

The consequences of war on the Korean peninsula are too ghastly to contemplate. Countless millions are likely to die on both sides very quickly. North Korea has one of the world's largest armies. Supplying it will take much needed food and equipment away from the rest of the already undernourished population. If the North starts a war, it will not surrender easily, and you can be sure their nuclear weapons will be used. Seoul, a modern city of some 10 million plus souls, lies just 40 kms from the border with North Korea. Add in Incheon and other nearby satellite cities and the population rises to more than 24 million. The devastation north and south would be horrendous. Keeping the two countries' main allies - China and the USA - out would take a superhuman effort. The pundits who reckon the North Koreans are showing their muscle because they reckon the US has no appetite for yet another war are probably not far off the mark.

If war starts, one scenario will be the devastation of the Korean economy. the 15th largest in the world. That will plunge the world into even greater recession, the likes of which none of us can contemplate.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I hope they do not have a war.

However, the North Korea problem needs sorting.

For a start, every time the North Koreans attack, the South Koreans must respond with at least equal severity. Otherwise, the nutters in the North know the Southern Koreans will act weak.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:However, the North Korea problem needs sorting.
For a start, every time the North Koreans attack, the South Koreans must respond with at least equal severity. Otherwise, the nutters in the North know the Southern Koreans will act weak.
I wish it were that simple. When one side is a rogue dictatorship with nuclear weapons and the other is a democracy without them, you basically tread on eggshells - not act like a bull in a china shop.
ajarn2

Post by ajarn2 »

South Korea needs to respond just as hard.
You can be sure if North Korea done that to Israel they wouldn't be around too long.

It's time to move in on them and free the people,same as Burma.
But then again,Didn't we lose the war to the North back in the 50s ?
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Maybe you are too young to remember or have memory loss. The US was involved in the "Korean Conflict" back in the 50's and it did no good. There was tremendous loss of life. With N. Korean having nuclear capabilities now it would be far worse.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

ajarn2 wrote:South Korea needs to respond just as hard.
You can be sure if North Korea done that to Israel they wouldn't be around too long.
I really don't know what you are getting at. If you are implying that Israel would not have put up with such an attack, I seem to remember the Palestinians and other states around Israel sending in rockets from time to time. Yet, these states still exist. What is so different?

Further, do you need reminding yet again that North Korea, like Israel, has nuclear weapons, whereas South Korea does not? Only the Americans who help defend South Korea have them. If the Americans, encouraged by the South Koreans, fire off a nuclear missile, the geopolitical consequences will be enormous.
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

A few preemptive strike hydrogen bombs, loaded into cruise missiles, would sort the problem without giving North Korea a chance to respond. Just launch on a day the wind is blowing north or east. Then claim that the new nuclear power plant must have exploded.