Cell Phone or Camera

Doug

Cell Phone or Camera

Post by Doug »

I have a 5 year old cell phone that gives me no problems. I have a chunky camera that takes good pictures but the flash is broken. I would like to get a new devise that fits in my pocket and takes good pictures.

Should I buy a new cell phone that combines all functions or keep my cell phone and buy a new slim camera? I'm hoping to spend no more than 6000 baht.
Gaybutton

Re: Cell Phone or Camera

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." If it were me, I would keep the telephone and buy a slim camera. If nothing else, if one is lost or stolen, you still have the other.
Jun

Post by Jun »

If you want a reasonable quality of photo, get a camera.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Jun wrote:If you want a reasonable quality of photo, get a camera.
Another vote for getting a camera. The lenses in cell phones are amazingly good these days, but they're not that good.
Once in awhile

Post by Once in awhile »

How often do you carry the camera around? Probably not that often.
How likely are you going to carry a phone and a camera around together? Again probably not that often.
And how many times do you walk by something and think - I wish I had a camera with me.
There are lots of phones out there with really good quality cameras built in - some approaching 5 mega pixels.
I say get the phone/camera combo and you will be surprised how many more pics you take.
And it doesn't have to be a smart phone like a blackberry, Iphone or some android model.
Have a look at used models and you might be surprised how cheap they can be, making the risk of losing it much less of a concern.
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

Once in awhile wrote:There are lots of phones out there with really good quality cameras built in - some approaching 5 mega pixels.
even 50 megapixels won't help unless you have a decent lens, optical zoom, real flash and decent firmware - and you are much more likely to find these on a camera rather than a phone, so unless you always want to take pics in good light at a fairly close range and only look at them on your phone get a manbag and carry both your phone and camera in it!

the problem with most multi-purpose devices (smartphones included) is they do many things poorly - my mp3 player is better at managing and playing music, my camera is better at taking pics and my netbook is better for surfing the web; while my smartphone does all of this it depends on what limitations I am willing to put up if I only want to carry one device and only want one power supply and USB cable rather than many cluttering up my desk, and in my opinion smartphones don't quite cut it yet for all these things so I always carry my phone and mp3 player, take my camera if I plan to take pics (which is rarely) and take my netbook for serious surfing else get by with the phone (my manbag is big enough for the netbook most of the time and 10 inches beats 4 inches any day)!

ken