LONDON -- Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like

Jomtienbob

LONDON -- Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs like

Post by Jomtienbob »

Interesting article from the Washington Post.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... ailarticle
ajarn2

Re: LONDON -- Alcohol is more dangerous than illegal drugs l

Post by ajarn2 »

Well the Psychiatrist is right !
Alcohol is involved in crime than any other drug.
One only has to walk their Cities at 3am on a Sunday morning to see the half wits fighting and vomiting on the streets.
They see if you walk thru Glasgow on a weekend morning you can still see the blood and probaly the vomit from the night before.

I remember when I was in Vancouver,Canada a few years ago,all the drunks out at 2am in the morning and thumping the bonnets of passing taxis that wouldnt stop.
Australian Cities such as Sydney and Melbourne are another weekend alcohol disgrace with glassings,assaults,brawls all caused by alcohol.
Marijuana is not ok says the Govt,but alcohol is ,possibly because they the Govt are making money from it.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

They forgot to include tobacco in the study. There might be less crime connected to smoking, but the effect to the health is as bad. And the effects on others? Well, this was discussed sufficiently. I read some days ago, that all bars in Soi Twilight now allow/tolerate smoking. Smoke makes me feel very uncomfortable, and I have a fine nose for smoke. Judging this way, smoking is worst, as one smoker can make dozens of non-smokers feel uncomfortable.

I think, legalising soft drugs is completely the wrong way. Mankind should make attempts to abolish all kinds of drugs, including alcohol and tobacco.
ajarn2

Post by ajarn2 »

Well i have never seen any aggressive smokers or smokers punching walls or shouting out and vomiting in the early hours of the morning.
Alcohol is a big problem,even in Thailand it has a lot of deaths contributed to it,not only road deaths but liver cancer and the rest.

You only have to walk around Walking Street on a weekend at around 2am to see the idiot out looking for fights,thank god we have the farang tourist police who do a hell of a job under very difficult circumstances.
That being said,my father did die from lung cancer because i presume smoking and sure smoking illnesses cost the taxpayers a lot but on the crime front ,alcohol must beat all drugs.
Christianpc,your right about smokers making others feeling uncomfortable,i hate sitting near them and easily start coughing.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Smokers are can be slightly annoing to non-smokers all the time (whenever they smoke), whereas drinkers can be very annoying to non-drinkers for a short time (when they are drunk). In both cases, it's interesting how the drug has different effects on different people: a friend from school was a very peaceful person when sober, but got quite aggressive when drunk. Others might just get quiet and want to sleep when drunk (no personal experiences).

I know smokers, where I was surprised to find out that they smoke, as I never could detect any smell. I had to endure one smoker so far, either he smoked something disgusting or he had a metabolism that converted the substances he inhaled into something that smelled much worse, and the smell was quite persistant! I could smell him from a distance of 2m, 15min after he smoked!

I have two deterrent examples in my family: my granddad was a heavy smoker and died of lung cancer (after some years of medical treatment), and my uncle drowned drunk (exact circumstances unclear, he was found dead floating in a river with a high level of acohol). Which lead my remaining uncle to the conclusion that drinking at home is ok, but doing sports was what killed him!