Question About Name On Ticket

Captain Swing

Question About Name On Ticket

Post by Captain Swing »

I hope someone can give me some advice. I recall reading some time ago that the US was going to require that the name on airline tickets match exactly the name on passports. Is this the case? My (US) passport has my full middle name, which I seldom use otherwise. I've always gotten tickets before with just a middle initial, or just first and last name. Is it now necessary to have the full middle name, to match the passport? Is the regulation enforced, never enacted, or up to the discretion of gate personnel? Any recent experience?
Gaybutton

Re: Question About Name On Ticket

Post by Gaybutton »

From what I understand, you do have to use the exact name on your travel document - passport, driving license, or whatever - when making your reservation and your ticket will be issued under that name.

It is explained on the following web site:

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/layers/se ... index.shtm

If you scroll to the bottom, there is a "Contact Us" if you have questions. If you have reason to use anything other than your name exactly as it appears on your passport, I would contact them, explain what you wish to do and why, and carry a written copy of their response when you make your trip if they say what you want to do is permissible.
Bob

Post by Bob »

For the heck of it, I just looked back through a few tickets for the last couple of years (I keep digital versions of the tickets on my laptop which I carry with me). All the EVA tickets had my full name (including middle name) spelled out (although there's no space between my first and middle names). My Air Asia tickets had no middle name or initial. My United tickets were mixed - some with my middle name spelled out and some with just an initial.

If you're concerned about it (I, for one, would think you have no problem unless the airline desk truly smells a problem), why not call the airline office and fix it? Or, possibly, you can effectively fix it online by editing the personal information and contact info.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

pronto wrote:I typically use my travel agent to book my international flights and was informed by that office some months ago that this is now a requirement.
By any chance, did they say anything about how best to handle it if a ticket had already been issued before someone had knowledge of the requirement?