Wacky Politicians

RichLB

Wacky Politicians

Post by RichLB »

I keep hearing snippets of some of the absurd positions taken by several of the candidates running for office in the US. Frankly, I can't keep track of them all. How about a thread where those who follow such things closer than I do help me out. Christine O'Donnell seems to lead the pack, but she's not the only nutjob running. What about Rand Paul, Sharron Angle, the loon in Alaska, etc? Can anyone fill me in on who has said what?
Bob

Re: Wacky Politicians

Post by Bob »

RichLB wrote:I keep hearing snippets of some of the absurd positions taken by several of the candidates running for office in the US. Frankly, I can't keep track of them all. How about a thread where those who follow such things closer than I do help me out. Christine O'Donnell seems to lead the pack, but she's not the only nutjob running. What about Rand Paul, Sharron Angle, the loon in Alaska, etc? Can anyone fill me in on who has said what?
Actually, all of the people you've mentioned have said nothing and, in fact, have dropped out of politics altogether. Now, if you don't believe me, you could check this information by reading a newspaper (a real one or any one of the many available online), check out the CNN news website, or even do one of those strange new fangled things called "googling" (it's sorta like channeling). :mrgreen:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:Actually, all of the people you've mentioned have said nothing and, in fact, have dropped out of politics altogether.
I'm don't understand what you're saying. Are you saying Sharron Angle and Christine O'Donnell have dropped out of politics? I can't find anything to indicate that. Here is something, however, I did find today:
_____

Midterm Election 'Jersey Shore' Style

By Gloria Borger, CNN Senior Political Analyst
October 20, 2010

Editor's note: Gloria Borger is a senior political analyst for CNN, appearing regularly on CNN's "The Situation Room," "AC360°," "John King, USA" and "State of the Union."

Washington (CNN) -- Scenes from a campaign:

Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle speaks to high school students and, in a gesture she probably thought was polite, noticed that some of the Hispanic students she expected "look more Asian to me."

Delaware Senate candidate Christine O'Donnell, in a snarky exchange with her Democratic opponent, denies that the separation of church and state is a matter addressed in the constitution. (She, a self-proclaimed defender of the constitution.)

But never mind. They may never have made it to "It's Academic," but both women are bringing something else -- more important than actual information -- to this election season. They're in-your-face anti-establishmentarians, proud contrarians -- and, of course, card-carrying Sarah Palians.

In fact, they're more Sarah than Sarah: If Palin went rogue, her descendants have gone Jersey. As in, "Jersey Shore."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/10/ ... index.html
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Bob, I assume you must be joking but I fail to find the humor. Shockingly, Sharon Angle is leading Harry Reid in recent polls, Rand Paul is doing quite well, and even our resident witch, Christine O'Donnell is pulling ever closer to her opponent. Perhaps your credibility would be enhanced if you stuck to more arcane topics such as UFO's and psycho-social development (re: previous threads) where derision can more easily masquerade as thoughtful input.

But, back on topic... Let me start out with a couple of the more publicized gaffs.

Christine O'Donnell admitting she has dabbled in witchcraft. She also campaigns against masturbation as a social evil. As a supposed strict Constitutionalist it's amazing she is unaware of the First Amendment's provision for a separation of church and state. One should also not be surprised that when asked for a single Supreme Court decision she disagreed with, she drew a blank - even though she has campaigned against the direction of the Supreme Court. When asked about lying, she has taken the position that all lies are immoral, including the hypothetical case of telling Nazi Jewish hunters during WWII that one did not know the location of hiding Jews. There are more, of course, but this might start the thread going. Apologies for starting off with the easy one.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Following Bob's advice, I googled Joe Miller, the leading Senate Candidate in Alaska. Perhaps he should move ahead of O'Donnell for supreme nutcase. His latest antic was to have a reporter handcuffed and arrested by his privately employed goons when being questioned. He also has a solution to the US' immigration problem. His position " "involves a very, very big wall, land mines, razor wire, machine gun towers and shoot to kill storm troopers that not only keeps undesirables out, but prevents Americans from leaving" (http://chattahbox.com/us/2010/10/18/joe ... more-39139). He also maintains Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, unemployment benefits and the federal minimum wage are unconstitutional. A true loon.
Bob

Post by Bob »

RichLB wrote:Bob, I assume you must be joking but I fail to find the humor.
Hmmmmmm......yes, I was joking. I just thought it was a little humorous that you made a post on a message board involving gay Thailand asking others to fill you in on American politics. Kaw tawt krab, next time I'll try to be a bit more obvious.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bob wrote:I just thought it was a little humorous that you made a post on a message board involving gay Thailand asking others to fill you in on American politics.
I don't know why. The title of this forum is "Everything Else," which means everything that does not involve Thailand. There are many threads on this forum that have nothing to do with Thailand and that's why it's here, for people to discuss anything they want. For example, I posted a thread today about the death of Bob Guccione, to which you have responded. That thread has nothing even remotely to do with Thailand. So, what's the problem about this thread?
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Bob wrote:
RichLB wrote:Bob, I assume you must be joking but I fail to find the humor.
Hmmmmmm......yes, I was joking. I just thought it was a little humorous that you made a post on a message board involving gay Thailand asking others to fill you in on American politics. Kaw tawt krab, next time I'll try to be a bit more obvious.
If not more obvious, at least honest. I recognize you enjoy delivering snide barbs, but since I also enjoy fencing with you, I urge you to at least make some attempt to relate them to the topic under discussion. I would be disappointed if your responses in these threads were dismissed as mere contrarian ravings. Having read your latest input, might I suggest that you join the pack and make a run for the Senate. I suspect you'd fit right in.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Gaybutton wrote:So, what's the problem about this thread?
There's nothing at all "wrong" about the substance of the topic at all. Beyond that, I'll plead the fifth and stay within the board rules.