Boy Scouts Expel Gay Leader

Gaybutton

Boy Scouts Expel Gay Leader

Post by Gaybutton »

Boy Scouts Tell Gay Leader to Take a Hike

By Tom Watkins, CNN
October 20, 2010

(CNN) -- The father of a 9-year-old Cub Scout said Tuesday he has been forced out of a leadership role with the organization and ordered not to wear its uniform because of his sexual orientation.

Jon Langbert of Dallas, Texas, who is openly gay, told HLN's "Prime News" that he had been wearing the shirt the Scouts gave him last year with pride. The shirt identified him as a member of the leadership team that was selling popcorn for a Scout fundraiser.

But that all changed last week. "Everything was running along smoothly until some of the dads complained," he said. When the complaints rose to a higher level of the Scout leadership, he was asked to stop wearing the shirt and give up his leadership role, he said.

"It made me feel terrible to think about the devastating effect it would have on my son, to see his father stripped of his leadership role," Langbert told CNN affiliate WFAA. "It brought tears to my eyes."

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/US/10/19/te ... google_cnn
lvdkeyes

Re: Boy Scouts Expel Gay Leader

Post by lvdkeyes »

Just another example that homophobia is alive and well. It also helps explain why there are more horse's asses than there are horses.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Nothing like teaching the youth of today to hate...

:| Grimmy
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Gays, Mormons and Boy Scouts' Discrimination

By LZ Granderson, Special to CNN
October 22, 2010

Editor's note:
LZ Granderson is a senior writer and columnist for ESPN The Magazine and ESPN.com and has contributed to ESPN's Sports Center, Outside the Lines and First Take. He is a 2010 nominee and the 2009 winner of the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation award for online journalism and a 2010 and 2008 honoree of the National Lesbian and Gay Journalists Association for column writing.

Grand Rapids, Michigan (CNN) -- For an organization that describes itself on its website as being "truly a melting pot," with membership that comes "from all walks of life," the Boy Scouts of America sure is picky.

This week alone, the nonprofit organization has been criticized for removing a father from leadership in Texas because he is gay and rejecting a couple's application for leadership in North Carolina because they are Mormons.

I couldn't help but chuckle after reading the two headlines. The Mormon church has spent millions to support measures that discriminate against gay people in the name of God -- and here is a Mormon couple being booted out of a thinly veiled Christian organization accusing them of having a different god. I would call it karma, but that would only introduce a third god and I think the conversation is confusing enough.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/OPINION/10/ ... google_cnn